Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #261

Re: Polar Bear 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaskoda
Quote:
Originally Posted by partsflyin
From reading this entire thread I am surprised that you wouldn't attempt these repairs yourself. Nothing at all super complicated . I would replace the balljoints and tie rods myself and then take it to a shop for a quality alignment.
I have repeatedly been impressed with your abilitys building this van and feel you would be capable to handle this job.
I thought about researching the ball joints, but I'm already hitting a solid wall on the tie rods because I simply can not figure out what parts to buy. Since my last post, the shop has had me bring the van back in for measurements. I'm starting to worry that this new shop will also be unable to identify the correct parts. I found notes scratched on the old old paperwork I received with the van and it looks a lot to me like the previous owner went through this same process and gave up.
If all else fails on coming up with a match, you could go full custom. Something like this
http://bulletproofsteering.com/fordpricingoptions.html

partsflyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #262

Front end is finally all fixed up. Drives considerably different now. Where'd all the play go? So.. now I gotta pack for Burning Man real quick like. Feeling totally overwhelmed, but at least those tie rods are taken care of. *sigh*
Zaskoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #263

Been nuts.. almost recovered from the burn... radiator blew up the day before I was leaving.. much to share later.. For now, got a chance to go offroading a bit. Here's a quick vid:

Old 09-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #264

From the video it looks like you could slow down a little more on the trails. Speed is not your friend. And you are not making a TV commercial.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #265
Site Team

Good advice Mike. That's my problem too. I go too fast on rough roads. I've shaken numerous screws out of places unknown on the inside of my Sportsmobile. I've been concerned about my leading the way on the Bitter Springs Scenic By-Way at the Valley of Fire Meet and Greet because I'm afraid I will go too fast for everyone. Maybe you could lead the way. I've watched the videos of the vans going over the Imogene Pass and I can't believe how slow they were going. I'm not sure my rig goes that slow.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #266

Pfft, you should try following Jeffery...
Old 09-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
I've watched the videos of the vans going over the Imogene Pass and I can't believe how slow they were going. I'm not sure my rig goes that slow.
Ahhh, that is one of the advantages of 4wd with lo range in the transfercase.

The best you could do Mac is an over/underdrive unit so you could go slow without overheating your transmission. And that is only 1.25:1, while even a factory transfercase is 2.7:1 so don't worry about having to spend any more money on your van.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #268

Well, I have to admit, I knew I was being videoed... I'd also spent a good 15 minutes watching a stock Xterra slowly creep up the same patch spinning his tires most of the way.

In my defense, I also just got new tie rods and I've been wanting to both take advantage of the new hardware as well as put some stress on it and make sure everything is solid. The trail we picked was pretty easy going aside from a few spots like this one. This was the first trip where I've had a chance to get a feel for the operational range of the vehicle. With the front stabilizer bar still in place, I was surprised how much flex I had:

From driving the van around town, I thought the vehicle was far stiffer. I'm really happy about how she performed. I think I'm going to get some rock sliders on the van real fast though.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #269

The Burning Man thing was fun but a bit stressful. I volunteered to haul gear for cash so I could afford the bill to drive her all the way out. I had so much gear dumped on me so fast, I had to borrow a trailer to drag it all out. We were going up some of the hills pretty slowly.

I was really glad I had the van there. She was a great centerpiece for camp.

I have to admit, it's starting to bother me as to how long I've had this van and how slowly I've been doing my build out. I thought I'd have more... time...
Old 09-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #270
Site Team

You need to post more pictures of the Burning Man Festival. Being in Las Vegas I'm so close, yet probably planets away.