Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2012, 07:28 PM   #291
Site Team

Garage
Re: Polar Bear 1

Bummer, How exactly did that happen?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:08 PM   #292

Sorry to hear it, but they used to fall off our work vans from time to time (on your body style van).
Any old school fleet mechanic can probably pop it right back on there. I think they just get worn out, or is there more to the story you haven't shared?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaskoda
Had some challenges lately.. Need to take some photos and wrote some deets.. but... the biggest thing on my mind right now... This weekend the slider door, well, it fell off.
Just pretend you're a Jeep.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #294

Hey just a thought...I'm rebuilding my 1990 4x4 E350 also (incidently I also have the 1 side window next to drivers door yours is the only other one like that that I have seen usually have 2 )

I encountered the same problem as you with regards to the side doors and rear doors..I.E. slider going into door encroaching on space.

I also have a 1991 Suburban....check out the rear doors and how GM solved the problem.....Nylon strap with 2 u-shaped brackets...I think this will work on our vans and solve the problem...plentiful in junkyards....

PS. I haven't tried it yet but will within about 2 weeks and don't see why it wouldn't work!
E350MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #295

PSS. If you are looking for a cheap nice way to frame around that back drivers side window? At pick and pull I found a van of same body style that had the side windows...Ford made a fiberglass piece that went front to rear and framed the windows up nicely...I bought it $ ? Maybe $50.00 and cut off what I didnt need....sanded it...painted to match and volia! It worked perfectly and fit nicely with panels I made like yours.
E350MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #296

Wow, I just got done reading every page. Great build! Got a couple of questions right now though...

Where did you get those wheels? What make/model are they?

I was thinking about vinyl diamond plate flooring as well, but would like to know your thoughts on it's strength to heavy traffic with heavy gear and trying to slide the gear in and out? I use my van to haul sound equipment and want something that is reallllllly durable, but looks great too. Carpet works well cause it slides gear nicely, but diamond plate looks really cool.

thanks!
dudewithvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #297

Wow, I didn't expect to see any replies when I came back, much less so many.

The slider door is fixed. I just needed a nut, washer,and bushing but got the whole unit at the junkyard. Tearing the van in the junkyard apart helped me know how to put it together when I got home.

Here's a shot from the trip:

So other than the slider door, I had my battery isolater/charger go out. I googled around, found the company, and tried to use the warranty. Turns out, I bought a cheap chinese knock off product on ebay. Notice how my old one does not have a logo. The replacement part cost more than the original chinese kit

So I've torn into the back space and started some interior building. I finished out the rounded rear corners to be squared off and built from there. These photos focus on the speaker box build. I was having trouble placing my 6x9s after I changed my floor plan and finally desided to just hang them as removable speakers. The cord is long enough that you can pull them out of the van or move them forward in the van. Still have to finish out the pillars they're mounted on:

Not sure if I've shown this off before, but I also have a zombie sticker:

@dudewithvan - I bought the wheels at Discount Tire. Honestly, I wish they had a touch of white in them. The flooring shrinks and expands with the temperature more than I would like, but it's not a big issue... just looks a bit wrinkled when it's very hot. It's a tad slippery when wet but that's never been a problem. It's extremely durable. It's resistant to some acids, but paint thinner will eat it up. Nothing cuts through it, it's tough flooring. I would definitely do it again. I plan to lay down strips of rugs like floormats on the open floor once the inside is built out. I have had no trouble sliding gear over the floor. Several of my big cases have wheels and they roll just fine. Other stuff slides smoothly.

I did a cool blinker mod, will post some pics soon.
Zaskoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #298

I had a blinker problem. The blinkers on my van are front and rear, none on the side. In traffic, cars in my blind spot don't know I need over. Lots of cars have blinkers on their side mirrors. I decided to do something a little different.

So I picked up a set of flush-mount motorcycle blinkers off of Amazon and wired them in on my front fenders near the running light:

They're bright enough, you can see the light in this photo in daylight:

Here's the Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006B3 ... 02_s00_i00
Old 11-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #299
Site Team

Garage

Wow, nice mod!

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #300

So I busted out the plasma torch and welder and jumped back on the front bumper for a bit. I've been hunting down a pipe bender with no luck. Then I happen to come into some angle iron. An idea struck and i decided to give it a shot. You can probably see what I'm doing here:

We have a good saw at the shop that would have made for much cleaner cuts, but it's out of commission. I ended up having to do a lot of "filling" with the welder and I'm kinda sloppy at it... but I'll clean a lot of it up with the grinder before I paint and finish. So far it feels like it's gonna be a real strong push bar. It's also looking in alignment with the zombie apocalypse theme. =D