Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2020, 10:00 AM   #351

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
So what's the rest of the story on Polar Bear Didn't Get There?

I'm completely clueless about 4 wheeling but would it have worked to back up that rise?

Nice photos otherwise---thanks for sharing!

I don't think that backing up would help tremendously and I say that in part because backing out is how I climbed out the way I came in. I think it's better to keep my rear axle downhill. Rather, I think the best thing I could have done was drop my tire pressure down to around 30. That would have given me a much bigger contact pad. Also, it would absorb any bouncing that might otherwise make me lose traction.

Once I knew I couldn't climb out, I tried backing out, but couldn't get her big butt to swing enough and got myself wedged into the ravine. I do not have lockers, just LSD in the rear and a free axle in the front. So after digging in trying to dig out, I got the hi-lift jack out. I used the rock sliders to lift the sunk tire and filled the hole with rocks. I also found a small log to put under another tire.

Once I was done under the tires, a Jeep rolled up and offered a wench. I thought I might be able to get out without it, but I also didn't want to just waste the work I did so I immediately took him up on it. When the tension hit the wench cable, his Jeep started to slide and not my van. However, with the extra tension, the van popped out with just a light touch of gas so we must have lined everything up alright.

I thought about letting some air out and trying again, but we ended up just driving away and going to play somewhere else for the night.

Zaskoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:12 PM   #352

I finished Polar Bear. Mostly. I've decided it's time to sell her. We have a new house. It's hard to work on her here and the house project takes priority over van projects. So I tied off a bunch of loose ends and I'm calling her done.

I'm very happy with how the interior turned out. Everywhere you'd want a handle, there's a handle. Everywhere you need light, there's a light. The whole space flows nicely. Would I do some things differently? Yes, of course! But I still really love it.

Polar Bear represents an amazing part of my life. We have had so many adventures together. We've shared time with so many of my closest friends. For 12 years I've gone through costly repairs to keep this 34 year old machine running and it almost feels like more of a pet than a toy. But more than that, Polar Bear is really an art piece. When I started working on her, I thought she was a piece of art I would one day finish. But now, I see that she was more of a performance art. She created and influenced a lifestyle, a way of living, that I will remember and cherish forever. There are certainly many people who won't recognize me without this van in the background. I hope she ends up in the hands of the right person. Thanks for the good times, Polar Bear.

Zaskoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:58 PM   #353
Site Team

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that you're selling, but I understand how life changes drive other changes. GLWS.

Herb
Old 09-09-2021, 08:03 PM   #354

Sorry to hear you are selling Zaskoda but time/life marches on. I remember you got this van and started this thread around the time I showed up, 12 years ago. That is a long time! Your thread has almost 70k views! I know it isn't a popularity contest but congrats on keeping a cool thing going (van and thread) for such a long time. It's been fun to be a part of your journey.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:58 PM   #355

I know how you feel. I just posted my 96 e350 as stolen this AM and I was still in the planning stages for the re-buildout after spending years sinking money into her (the BRV: Big Ridiculous Van) to patch mechanical needs and waiting too long for "perfect" ideas, when we should have gone with "good enough". Good luck.
vertizonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote