Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2010, 10:17 PM   #71

Re: Polar Bear 1

Done and done... This was the final test fit:

I tried shorter carriage bolts and they still didn't work so I ended up having to use hex bolts pointing up. Not as elegant as I had hoped, but it seems to be holding. After the test fit, I glued on a little bit of rubber:

I got all the brackets on this evening... here's hoping it stays put. On to the next project.

Zaskoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:20 AM   #72

Van is looking good with the wheels, rack, ladder etc.
teeots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeots
Van is looking good with the wheels, rack, ladder etc.
Thanks =)

Old 05-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #74

lemme know on the seal kit!!

gotta get back to the van...had the injection pump specialy built for the turbo setup..and better injectors....hopin to be able to lay some rubber on the road..and smoke in the air (when I NEED to..not be a butthead and limit visibility for other drivers saftey...)

85 E250 Turbo 6.9 vegiburner
92 explorer (well the vin tag and body skins are anyway)
09 jeep wrangler unlimted...for walmart wheelin!!

nothing scares my wife like my boredom and a welder!!
wanderer351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:00 PM   #75

I took it pretty easy today. After the rack mess, I cleaned up the shop and did some re-organizing. I installed and configured my new Smittybilt G.E.A.R. seat cover. I have another one on the way for the driver's seat... which I haven't swapped out yet. Here's the passenger with some junk attached to it:

They're not perfect, but they're still pretty awesome. The additional storage is fantastic. I would have preferred 1 or 2 less bags and one of the bags being significantly bigger. However, the whole design is flexible enough that I can probably add a variety of other types of bags.

I also added another mod this weekend that proved to be loads of fun, but I didn't get a pic yet so I'm gonna wait until later to show it off...
Old 05-24-2010, 03:47 AM   #76

thanks for seat gear info; going to get 2. blkjak
Old 05-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkjak
thanks for seat gear info; going to get 2. blkjak
So... turns out the seat covers use the Molle system, something I wasn't even aware of before. The reason it looks like a bullet proof vest is because it uses the same system for attaching things. There's a huge variety of accessories on Amazon (and all over) that attach to this system. I'm extra stoked about the purchase now. =)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOLLE_(military)
Old 05-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #78

Talk about being organized but I dont see a place to put a 45 and extra mags!!!!!!!!!

Dave
unimogdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #79
Site Team

I'd not heard of the MOLLE system or PALS until I saw Z's post. I was curious how it worked.
Found the following at this web site: olive-drab.com

MOLLE Pouch Attachment Ladder System (PALS) Description

The PALS grid consists of horizontal rows of one inch wide webbing spaced one inch apart and attached to the backing (pack, vest, etc.) at intervals of 1 1/2 inch. Here is a description of how to attach a pocket to an LBE vest using PALS:

To properly attach a pocket, choose the desired attachment point on the vest panel. Line up the top of the pocket even with the top of the nearest horizontal one-inch webbing that goes across the panels. Insert the pocket attachment strap down the 1 1/2 inch channel, then behind the 1” webbing on the back of the pocket. Continue weaving the attaching strap behind the horizontal webbing on the vest and the webbing on the back of the pocket until the pocket is secured along its entire length.

Do not simply place the attaching strap through the vest webbing without the interlocking weave. The pockets will not be secure if attached in this manner.

When used properly, this attachment system is extremely secure and stable.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:02 PM   #80

@WVvan - Good link and info. I didn't properly weave my pouches, but now I know to go back and do that. I suspect I'll rearrange everything a few times before I'm content with the configuration so I'll have plenty of chances to do it right.

Tonight I dug back into the speaker project. Previously I mounted two 6x9 Kenwoods in the rear. I'm working on getting a pair of 6.5" MB Quarts with tweets in the doors.

The first step is to make door panels. I scored again at the hardware store. I was ready to pay $20+ for a sheet of plywood. While poking around, I found a thinner sheet of paneling that would do the job for under $12. When I carried it back to have them do the first cuts for me, they happened to have enough of the same kind of paneling in the scrap pile. Total cost of wood for panels: $1.02. I love the scrap bin!

The rear panels were pretty simple and mostly square. The doors are a bit more complex, so I made a template using a piece of butcher paper.

I cut the panels erroring on the side of caution... in other words, I made sure to cut just a tad big. I fitted and attached the panels. The doors close nicely and the door handle is easily accessed. I still need to trim a tad for the window rollers and to get a slightly better fit around the edges of the door itself.

I'm still trying to decide just where and how I want the speakers. I'm also considering using some of the door space for storage.

I was distracted from van work for a little while this evening when some friends in the backyard needed help disassembling a geodesic dome. I held some pipes in place while one guy unbolted a joint. He was using a power drill to take the nut off a bolt. His hand slipped and the wrench backing the bolt popped out of his hand. The spin of the drill sent the wrench flying... into my face.

Ironically, because I'd been using power tools while working on the van, I had safety glasses with me. Unfortunately, they were hanging off of the neck of my shirt instead of being on my face. The whole thing made me think of the movie Dodgeball. "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball." Unfortunately, I apparently can't dodge a wrench. At least it didn't take out my eyeball.