Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2010, 10:17 PM   #81

Re: Polar Bear 1

I bolted for the garage as soon as I got home from work.

First, I cut speaker holes in the woooden door panels. I also trimmed them a bit. Then I cut holes in my doors as they were not designed for speakers at all. As I was preparing to cut, I got a little nervous. This is the first time I've taken my jig to the van.

The cut went really well. I used the drill to poke a row of holes until it formed a slot the jig could fit into. I was happy that the metal was relatively easy to cut. I was proud of my clean cuts.

I ran out of time and will not be getting the wiring done tonight. However, I decide to go ahead and mount the speakers as a test fit. That's when something lousy happened.

I slipped off of the screw and ran the screwdriver through the speaker. It made me sick. Given the choice between taking a wrench to the face or running a screwdriver through my fancy new speaker... taking into account recent experience, I prefer the wrench to the face.

What would you guys recommend to patch my hole? Super glue? I don't want to leave it as is, do I?

So, I wrapped everything up for the night and put the window handles back on. I still have a lot left to do. There's no place in the door to run speaker wires so I have to figure out a good place to do this. I also have to wiring in two tweeters.

At this point, I wish I'd gotten marine grade speakers with good safe cages on them. These speakers might sound nice, but they aren't well protected and will be exposed to the elements when the doors are open. =/

Hindsight... twenty twenty...

Zaskoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:26 PM   #82
Site Team

I've had a torn driver before. It actually wasn't that noticeable audibly, but it did start to get worse a few years down the line. A lot will depend how hard you drive the speakers. It's kind of like the first scratch on a new car. It hurts at first, but then you get desensitized to it. I say live with it. We've all had those moments.

Herb
Old 05-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #83

sorry man,

I might try a little 2 part epoxy. i doubt you will hear the difference once glued back together.
teeots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #84

buy 2 marine speakers...blkjak
Old 05-28-2010, 02:01 AM   #85

A large package arrived for me at work. It took me a little while to remember what it might be. It was the visor I bought on eBay. I think I'll paint it black. Has anyone every installed one of these?

So once I got home from work, I went back to that speaker installation thing. It did not go entirely smoothly. To route wires to my doors, I needed to drill a hole in a hard to reach spot. I decided just to pop the doors off.

Unfortunately, the pre-wiring I did just didn't work out. The speakers come with these big component boxes that split the signal for the main speakers and the little tweeters. They're unreasonably big. I was going to install them inside the door, but they might get wet and dirty in there. After a lot of pondering, including the possibility of covering them in plastic inside the doors, I decided to install them in the dash.

Since I'll have a main and a tweeter in each door and the components will be in the dash, I need two wires running to each door. I was super tidy when I ran the original wires. All those zip ties I used so neatly sure turned annoying in a hurry. I had to take a couple of panels off the dash to get the new wires routed.

There's a hole left in the center of the dash where the one original speaker was. I used the old speaker cover as a guide to build a wood cover for the hole. The space is almost big enough. With some trim work, I'm pretty sure it will work. For right now, the plate is flipped upside down and the components are sitting on the dash.

Putting the driver door back on was challenging. Nino came by and helped me get it lined up. I think I got a much better fit on the door as it closes a little softer now. I still have to do the passenger door. I also have a bit more trim work on the panels I made as they slightly interfere with the operation of the doors.

I was shocked to find that it was midnight. I had to put everything away while I had a good rhythm going. Hopefully, tomorrow I'll hear sounds coming from the new speakers.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:22 PM   #86

Last night I attempted to finish up the speaker install. It's 7pm now and I finally "finished". There are a few more tweaks needed and I want to replace the speaker I punctured... but for all intents and purposes, I have the speakers installed.

While I had them off, I turned the door handles gray to match the rest of the build out. I painted a couple of other trim panels as well.

While removing the passenger door, a bolt sheered off. After all the sheered bolts with the roof rack, this just seemed par for the course.

It took about an hour of grinding, drilling, heating, cooling, hammering and twisting to get the bolt free. I also soaked it in penetrating oil for a spell as well. When it finally gave way, I felt great relief.

All that was last night. The bolt really set me back. I got everything wired up, but hadn't attached the tweets. I finally got to listen to my new speakers and I am extremely impressed with the audio quality. The annoying little tweeters really make it work. I can understand NPR over all the road noise without having to crank the radio. I love it!

Today, I finally chose a place to mount the tweeters and installed them. I ran the wiring between my panel and the door to prevent it from getting caught in the window regulator (new vocab word, thanks WVvan). I also did a little more trim work on the panels. They're near final in shape now.

Then, the doors finally came together. I used a lot of screws to attach those panels. That's a good thing, but I sure get tired of taking them on and off.

Once the doors were done, the last thing left to do was hide those components under the dash. The old center speaker hold was almost big enough, but required some trimming. I used a dremel to cut until I could bend the metal out of the way. I had to use a variety of tools to get the metal bent. It wasn't hard to bend, just hard to get to. Once bent, the fit was perfect... except for where it bolts together. I'm going to need to adjust one bolt and buy longer bolts... but... like I said in the beginning, it's done for now. I probably won't mess with it until I start covering all the wood panels.

While working, a freak hailstorm slammed down while I was inside the van. Here's a video.

Along the way, I did snap a shot showing all the speakers installed. Here's the final (I hope) layout.

Saturday is almost gone so I'm not sure what I'm going to tear into next. It's also still raining a bit. I have a lot of odds and ends to attend to so I might do little things for a while before jumping into the next more significant project.

I realized something today.

Pro Tip: Clean often.

There were several times when I started to feel overwhelmed, like when the bolt sheered or when I punctured the speaker. There were other times too. Several times I stopped working and started cleaning and organizing. It gave me a chance to stop doing and think more about the problem. Once I'd cleaned up for a bit, it created an environment much more conducive for working. Something about the clutter around me created clutter in my mind.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #87

Send a message via Yahoo to Txn2daBone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaskoda
A large package arrived for me at work. It took me a little while to remember what it might be. It was the visor I bought on eBay. I think I'll paint it black. Has anyone every installed one of these?

[/url]

Z,

It looked like the visor was already installed. I was going to ask you where I could get one of those fancy roof top visor attachers.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:40 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn2daBone
Z,

It looked like the visor was already installed. I was going to ask you where I could get one of those fancy roof top visor attachers.
They're a rare find. You just have to keep an eye out.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #89
Site Team

Great hail video. Almost makes you cringe to hearing the hail hitting the metal roof.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVvan
Great hail video. Almost makes you cringe to hearing the hail hitting the metal roof.
Oh how I look forward to having insulation in!