Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2010, 01:06 AM   #121

Re: Polar Bear 1

It's been a good ramp up to the weekend. It's time to work on the floor a little. I pulled out the seats and dog house. There's one cable that runs from the driver's seat belt along the floor. The screws that anchor the cable were horribly rusted. I had to use my screw pullers to get em all out.

Once I had the interior stripped back down, I did some cleaning. I swept, blew, washed, and blew again until I had things mostly clean.

I took the hammer and air hose to the rusty spots. Then I soaked them in rust inhibitor. I also put masking tape on the floor bolts and put them back in place so the threads would be hidden. I'm planning to use the old bolt holes from the rear bench seats to anchor my eventual subfloor.

That was all last night. The van baked in the sun all day today. Clean, dried, and prepped, I got out the gallon of bed liner and got to work. It was surprisingly fun to work with. It's a great thickness for easy painting. Since I plan on covering everything up later, I was also able to be a little sloppy with the application.

The work went pretty quick, but the horrible smell seemed to attract mosquitoes.

I finished up a first coat tonight. I only have about an inch left in the can. I may not bother with a second coat as, like I said, the floor will be covered.

The intention with this part of the project is to insulate the floor both against temperature and (more so) noise. I plan to coat the walls as well. I'll have to get a second gallon before I can coat them.

In other news, I've ordered some 1/8" rectangular steel tubing to build my rock sliders. It should be in next week. It would be nice if I could get them built next weekend. I've also found a local front bumper from a Bronco that might make a good base to build on. I'll have to go take a look at it.

Thanks for all of the feedback on selling the rig. I suppose I'm taking a middle of the road approach. Yes, this project is like an art piece for me and I invest the time and money because I enjoy it - not because I expect a return. Still, I want a reliable van. I will stay the course for now and take it a day at a time. Tonight's work was very satisfying. The course is a good course.

Zaskoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:23 PM   #122

I got a little more done this weekend. I decided to insulate the rear doors and took it as an opportunity to cut out the door handle I forgot about when making the panels. I also flipped one of the speakers right side up.

I also grabbed some Great Stuff to seal off a gap around the rear wheel wells. This was recommended to me by a body shop guy... I also shot some stuff behind the support beams to help dampen vibration.

In that last pic, you can see my sloppy weld. Apparently, the old spare tire busted that particular support clean through, but it's pretty solid now.

I finished doing the bed liner coating. I had to pick up another gallon for the walls. I used a different brand (cheaper). It went on just as well. I have about half a gallon left, but I didn't feel like I needed to add any more. I also experimented with a can of spray paint style bed liner coating. I think I'm going to use that for the exterior work later, it's much easier to work with and produces a result more like what I want on the outside.

I made another trip to the hardware store and picked up some fiberglass insulation for the rear doors. After adding the insulation, I cranked the stereo to full (rear speakers only) and had zero metal rattle. I used to hear the metal vibrate around 2/3 volume, sometimes (with the right note) around 1/3. =)

The smell is still pretty intense. I suddenly found myself wondering if it will ever go completely away. I realized that bed liner is generally used outside the vehicle and may not be safe inside. It's a little too late now!

The edges are rather sloppy, I know this. The inside will be completely covered. Around the bottom of the doors, I will extend the bed liner to the outside of the vehicle. I plan on adding bed liner along the bottom of the van where I'm having some rust issues. I will attempt to grind out the rust first though.

When I finished, I took Polar Bear out for a spin (to the car wash and back). I could definitely tell there was some sound dampening going on. By the time I'm finished everything, it might be a tolerable ride on the highway.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaskoda
Cold Feet

If I did switch, my desire is to have an 08+ Ford Turbodiesel. I dream of a modern interior and a quiet yet powerful engine. I just don't love the body style between my van and the current style. But then I start thinking about the cost... and I'd probably still have to do a build up... and wonder if I'm good right where I'm at.

I'm rambling a bit now...
Hey Zaskoda
I have been reading your blog. I would like to inform about the newer ford diesel engines. I did some research and you should probably do your own. But every mechanic told me to stay away from that engine, from 04 to present. Good luck with your build.
2003 e350 ext. 7.3 psd, keeping it prerunner-added python remote start, buchwackers fenders, pro comp rims 17X9 steel, nitto grapplers AT 34s, camburg suspension 6", deaver rear springs, alluminess nerf, ladder, rear bumper, galley box, spare rack. Working on: arb on board air, rear locker, and 410 gearing.
12bproper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12bproper
Hey Zaskoda
I have been reading your blog. I would like to inform about the newer ford diesel engines. I did some research and you should probably do your own. But every mechanic told me to stay away from that engine, from 04 to present. Good luck with your build.
I hear really good things about the 7.3L but not so good on the new 6's. I heard Ford stopped producing Diesel vans though. I assumed it had something to do with all the troubles they keep having. I'm secretly hopeful they'll come out with some bad ass new engine in a year or so.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #125

What I heard from some dealers when I was shopping, that ford redesigned the engine and it didn't fit into the vans.
International made the engines pre 2004. I also hear that the 6.0 lack power.
2003 e350 ext. 7.3 psd, keeping it prerunner-added python remote start, buchwackers fenders, pro comp rims 17X9 steel, nitto grapplers AT 34s, camburg suspension 6", deaver rear springs, alluminess nerf, ladder, rear bumper, galley box, spare rack. Working on: arb on board air, rear locker, and 410 gearing.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:12 PM   #126

I like my V10 a whole bunch and there are plenty of used V10 vans out there. They have a long history of reliability with few if any "issues". I bought it used and had it converted to 4wd. I saved enough justify the purchase and conversion when I otherwise would not have been able to afford this non-neccessity.
Chris
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #127
Site Team

International made the 7.3, 7.3 turbo, the 6.0 turbo and the 6.4 turbo. Maybe even the previous 6.9.

Ford latest diesel, the 6.8L (I think) Scorpion, is Ford first in-house designed diesel for trucks.

If I'm not mistake, Ford detunes (or maybe leave at International specified levels) all diesel engines in their vans, due to being unable to accommodate all the engine heat. Not sure if the gasser engines in the vans are rated the same as the ones in the trucks.

Herb
Old 06-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #128

Thanks Herb for clearing that up. I was going off what a dearler told me. What do they know?
Old 06-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #129

Quote:
What do they know?
Many many times I've had dealers quote completely wrong facts about vehicles I'm looking at. I have little faith in car salesman.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:26 PM   #130
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks Herb for clearing that up. I was going off what a dearler told me. What do they know?
Well I will say, especially the early years of the 6.0L, were not successful for Ford. Because Ford had so many warranty claims against the 6.0, while other applications of the International 6.0 did not, it was the basis for the legal battle between Ford and International. This eventually led to Ford's own Scorpion project.

FWIW, I've had a turbo problem and an IPR problem with my 6.0L. Both covered under warranty, but at a minimum very inconvenient.

Herb