Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2018, 06:41 PM   #1

Pop-out window placement

I got a hold of two pop-out windows for my 3rd gen Econoline. These will fit either the back or side windows. I am not sure where I want to install them, mostly because I have a ladder on back that I think may interfere with opening one of the windows. I thought about doing one and one, but they are tinted and that would just look silly.

Are there any noticeable advantages of side vs back installation in terms of ventilation?

I do have casement windows on the back sides and a small sliding window on the fiberglass top same side as barn doors. Also have a roof vent.

jpau00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:08 PM   #2

The pop out windows are not interchangeable. Example, left r dr is only for that door. 40 side door is only for the 40 side door ...etc.

Ventilation is subject to the user, hard to say without knowing the interior layout.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:35 PM   #3

I think it is different for 3rd gen vans. Mine is an 87.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:31 PM   #4

Oh, ok. Just a slightly huge difference lol
Carry on.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:19 AM   #5

If you’re sleeping in the back of the van it is nice to have those back door windows open for ventilation. We use both the back and side windows all the time when camping.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:53 PM   #6

Garage
You could just install both in the rear doors, and hope for the best. Either it will interfere, or it won't. If it does, just don't use it while moving(so it doesn't rattle). but either way, they will match, left and right.

I like having them. I actually leave them open most of the time. Rain doesn't come in, and on the road, having a front window open is nice. Somehow, having the back ones open reduces turbulence up front.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:17 PM   #7
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
What exactly is this "3rd generation econoline"---given so many things its simply better to state your own vehicle's year and those of any parts you're looking to swap.

Generally though model years 1992 through EOL take the same shape glass which all fit with bolts through the body. Many early 90's E-Series came equipped with movable ("pop out") rear door glass but due exhaust being drawn back into the vehicle when opened and in motion had them pretty much disappear a few years later. Movable glass remained in the hinged side doors and in the case of Club Wagon's the driver's side very front piece right behind the driver's seat were also movable.

Its possible Jpau00 has obtained "pop out" windows from an aftermarket manufacturer if they do appear they could be installed in any of the hinged doors. Just guessing here though...................
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpau00 View Post
I think it is different for 3rd gen vans. Mine is an 87.

The OP states his is an '87

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:24 PM   #9

Thanks for the feedback. There seems to be no compelling reason to mount the windows on the side, so I'll install them on the back. These were off a salvage and have been hard to find. I hope I can get two more.

The window sizes are the same for all rear and barn doors. The varying sizes did not come along until 1992.

3rd generation is 1975-1991. The is after the Scooby Doo models and before the generation most of you have. They are thicker, boxier versions. Hard to find certain parts for them because people don't restore them as much as the older ones. Most I've seen in junkyards have been thoroughly picked over, at least for the main items everyone wants.

The attached picture is not my van but one from the internet so you can see the windows. I am not at a computer that has my images.
Attached Thumbnails
wg_800.jpg  
Old 05-31-2018, 07:14 AM   #10
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpau00 View Post

3rd generation is 1975-1991. The is after the Scooby Doo models and .
I owned an '88 E-150 so know that era fairly well.

Good luck with your windows!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote