Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #11

Garage
Re: pop out windows

^^^ great picture. i assume the van being more square doesnt help either. plus i always have either a motorcycle or a pair of bikes, sometimes both. think that would make it worse?

i swear weve tried every combination of those pop outs trying to find a way they would work for us, but i dont specifically remember trying that with the two front door windows up. will have to give that a try. thanks for the suggestion

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #12

That CFD image is a Range Rover, so it might actually be worse than the vans.

Reading about trailer aerodynamics, in general items behind the rear wall have the potential to trip the air, reducing the "suck". The bikes probably won't do anything, the the bike rack could. But then again, the air coming from underneath is already really turbulent since the vans don't have a clean undercarriage.

Anything you add to the trailing edge of the van can help reduce low-pressure, which can also marginally increase fuel economy. Here's one solution:
http://www.airtab.com/

If you added those to the edge of your windshield, you'd probably reduce the low pressure there. But besides looking silly, it means even just cracking the windows would blow rain in your face.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:25 AM   #13
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

The image CarringB posts is pretty typical of most motor vehicles found on our highways these days, square box or van type trailers and bodies all having much the same aero flow at the rear. Slightly off-topic but NASCAR racing kinda discovered and exploited this with drafting, the practice of two or more cars being able to gain speed by reducing drag of the vacuum created when air sees that sudden drop off of the rear.

That vacuum actually has the former laminate air flow turn turbulent and back scours the rear of the vehicle which would indeed push exhaust into open rear windows.

If someone refits a van with pop out windows they might be best used only when the engine is off.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #14

We don't run with the rear pop outs open, but they are indispensable for camping when the bugs aren't bad. What they are really good for is chasing out flies and mosquitos when you've been parked awhile. We open em and drive for about 5 minutes, then close them. All bugs gone and van fully aired out.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:37 AM   #15

Agree, would not want to be without them for camping. We do not leave them open when driving. We put screens on all of our push out windows sides and rear.

SCREEN INSTALL: Removed the plastic trim, removed the window frame securing nuts , and removed the latch pin. Used duct tape to attach and seal the screen material to the door metal o it covers the entire opening. Small cut for the push out hardware from the window. Make sure to leave a little slack in the screen material towards the bottom to accommodate the latch travel when extended. Reassemble and you have push outs that can be left open all night even in the rain

Have some install pics somewhere, if anyone wants them, let me know and I will look for them and post.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:38 AM   #16

Last year I posted a full tutorial on installing screens in the rear windows, with pics. A search of the forum will easily turn it up if anyone is interested.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:12 PM   #17

ohpyramids,

I have a set of clear pop out windows for the 60/40 doors. Complete with gasket, acorn nuts, latch, screws and screw block. The gaskets are in excellent shape .. just follow BrianW's tutorial link on how to install them and you should be fine. I forgot I had them. Since they are factory clear you can have them tinted to whatever darkness you wish at a local tint shop.

I'm assuming your van currently has windows but they're fixed in place right? If your van's 60/40 doors do not have windows then these pop out windows will not work. If you have a cargo van then the installation will be easier since there is no interior plastic trim to deal with.

As with the other pop out window sets I have offered here on the forum the cost is $150. ($50 each for the window and $50 for UPS shipping to the LA area.) Pick-n-Pull charges me just about $50/window as they charge me separately for the damn latch .. I make no money on them.

If you're interested, just PM me. I don't have photos of them currently .. I'll post some in the next day or so.

Ray
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
I have a tutorial on the forum about how to install the pop-out windows. See viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11025&hilit=window
We used this to do ours and it is spot on, one of the best tutorials we've found to date.

-John
Old 07-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #19

Post on adding screens --> viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11256&p=106936#p10693

We don't have plastic trim so we'll have to go about that another way.

-John
Old 07-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #20

You can duct tape directly to the door metal around the window. Remove the pin holding the hinge to the window and the nuts that are securing the window first. Lay the screen material over the opening, carefully press over the window mounting studs, run pieces of duct tape all around making sure to leave slack in the screen for the hinge to pivot out. Replace nuts and reassemble in in hinge. Done. Have to dig up those dang pictures before I get a "worthless without pics) reprimanding !!!