Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2022, 04:48 PM   #21
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorwerx View Post
Any idea if they provide the option to weld the D pillar back in when switching from an SMB top to a CCV?
They won’t weld anything in but will add a flat stock support so that the CCV top can be bolted in…

1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 05:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoTerryh View Post
If a lower profile pop top is something you are at all interested in, you might take a look at GTRV.
GTRV does not work on Ford Econoline and GM express/savana vans.
karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:13 PM   #23
KDB

CCV is definitely the best option. I have an issue with a bolt break in one of the arms that fixes to the roof but other than that it's been solid. If you're gonna get a pop top that's the one to get.
KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 10:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDB View Post
I have an issue with a bolt break in one of the arms that fixes to the roof...
I look at those bolts regularly to check for wear, it looks like a weak point. I've wondered if they could be swapped out for something more robust. Has anyone done that?
sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 01:17 AM   #25
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrimm View Post
I look at those bolts regularly to check for wear, it looks like a weak point. I've wondered if they could be swapped out for something more robust. Has anyone done that?
Quite a thread on that topic with examples and pics...the new bolts w sleeves (I think that is how it is put) looks perfect/far more durable...
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 07:10 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
Quite a thread on that topic with examples and pics...the new bolts w sleeves (I think that is how it is put) looks perfect/far more durable...
I believe that thread re:sleeving ... is for the SMB bars.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:28 AM   #27
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
I’ll chime in way late on this (used to work for CCV, now retired). The CCV top is better as mentioned above. One thing not mentioned that SMB & field van does & shouldn’t do is cut out the last rear roof Pillar aka the D pillar. The B & D need to stay, they make the van much more structurally sound, that & the CCV frame is stronger & bolted in keeping the strength wear the roof was removed. Any other questions & Ray aka 1der will have you covered.
This is a huge observation and one that needs maximum attention! When the C-pillar is cut or removed from the body something needs to take its place. On raised roof vans with the extended-height rear doors a fully framed metal "roll cage" is welded to the entire body from the B-pillar back to the C-pillar, the area where the doors close and lock against the body made special to accommodate DOT standards relating to how the doors are latched at the top in the rear.

Here's a few images of my own '05 E-350 with the raised fixed roof showing how such a "roll cage" is added, several photos showing how a replacement part is installed to retain the C-pillar rigidity: https://imgur.com/a/iRmpb3n?grid

Sorry to derail the thread but the C-Pillar should never be removed permanently---it seems CCV has the correct way to do this with their tops!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 10:00 AM   #28
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
As Ray said the re-sleeving thread is for Sportsmobile tops not a CCV top. There is no need to re-sleeve a CCV top.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
This is a huge observation and one that needs maximum attention! When the C-pillar is cut or removed from the body something needs to take its place. On raised roof vans with the extended-height rear doors a fully framed metal "roll cage" is welded to the entire body from the B-pillar back to the C-pillar
Not a derailment, I think this is on subject. I can infer the pillar labels but I'm having trouble finding a frame diagram with labels. Does anyone have a link or picture with details?
stesmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
Here are a mid top pic.
do you have any pics of interior headroom? Thanks!
stesmit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pop top