Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #131

Re: Popping my top

What a great build thread! I've been getting the van "itch" again, and this is just making it worse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
The plan is to trim them with webbing or cotton binding. Our first attempt with your basic Singer sewing machine was an epic fail......
Double-layered nylon webbing will not work with a household sewing machine. Cotton binding (and I assume you mean "quilt binding" which is significantly wider that "seam binding") will be easier to sew. If you can find poly/cotton "quilt binding," that will be more stable over time. And buy a good supply of sewing machine needles, as the stack that you are going through will dull them quickly. Change needles often.

For my last van, I made the window coverings in a similar way: black headliner (exterior), reflectix, grey headliner (interior). Cut the pieces of headliner and reflectix larger than the window, and larger than you need for naked reflectix covers, because sewing trim on will draw in the edges a bit.

For the trim, I used strips of vinyl (cheap naugahyde?) so that I didn't have to worry about fraying, and it was stiffer than quilt binding. That stabilized the edges nicely, and they didn't take a beating when being snugged into the rim of the window.

For occasions when I didn't need the reflectix for insulation or total stealth (and honestly, they were a pain to store and put up), I made curtains from a light cotton fabric lined with blackout cloth. I used these 90% of the time.

In case you had any doubt: yes, a sewing machine is a power tool!

Question: how are you attaching the interior structures to the van? Like you, I left the interior wall trim in place, and so I was left with screwing into plastic, or screwing the bases of my cabinets into the plywood floor, or using bolts in the holes left by the seat brackets. I always wished I had a better way -- like screwing cabinets into furring strips which were screwed to the ribs of the van (an option cargo vans).

Honda Elements: I bought a low-mileage 2008 AWD Element EX as my non-van camping vehicle last summer, and have never been comfortable in it for drives longer than 1.5 hours. Short legs? And there are challenges making a satisfactory sleeping platform that doesn't block access to the spare. On the other hand, it is great for hauling bicycles locally! Nonetheless, I've decided that I'll sell the Element and get another van.

Yep, the van itch is getting stronger....

Cheers,
GreyDawg

Old 01-10-2015, 07:58 PM   #132

Greydawg:

I'll post a pic...we have tried both 1 1/2" black nylon webbing for the edge trim as well as black cotton 1 1/4" binding and couldn't sew either through the entire stack. There is a place in Santa Ana that rents upholstery style sewing machines; I have their number and need to call them. One thing about So Cal, you can get virtually everything here if you search hard enough. The thought is that we may attempt the upholstery work on the rear cushions.

As far as fastening the various cabinetry, I have not screwed anything to the interior plastic trim; it's completely unmolested.

The two side boxes are both completely structural by themselves (stand-alone); they are 100% dado-ed baltic birch/import birch plywood that is either stapled and glued or screwed and glued. Each of these boxes are screwed in about 6-8 places to the plywood floor only. They are spaced out from the plastic interior wall by a smidgen so that they do not rub or squeak.

The upper shelf cubby thingies are suspended from the penthouse support rails by wood screws and also strapped (OK I used 2 brackets!, they will probably be the only two brackets in the van) to the van ceiling using the threaded holes where the seat belt shoulder harnesses were....again to leave the stock van interior unmolested. Why am I worried about drilling into the stock plastic when I cut the roof off of the van?....you got me....???? To hang the cubbies, I removed the PH helper springs and drilled and countersunk a couple of holes for #6 wood screws to screw into the cubbies.

I use hardened square drive screws (not your granddaddy's screws) that bite and grip in plywood incredibly well. I get them locally at the hardwood/plywood supplier or online at mcfeely's. I don't know if Lowes or Home Depot sell these but I would doubt it. For glue I just use type 1 or 2 PVA glue (regular yellow wood glue-type 1 is interior rated and type 2 is interior/exterior). One 16 oz bottle of glue will probably do all of the casework in the van, including prototypes, mockups and screw-ups.

I'll post a few pics of these fasteners if anyone is interested. A #2 square drive also way outperforms a #2 phillips screwdriver all day long.

IMO using brackets to fasten particle board to the van sheet metal (the SMB way) is not the way to do the case-work.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:42 AM   #133

A few pics of the binding and screws discussed above.

Greydawg is going to be the expert on edge binding; I didn't know what it was called until buying it. The top stuff is nylon webbing and the bottom is cotton. A cotton/poly blend is probably a better choice for longevity.

Here are a representative group of "modern" wood screws. These are all square drive (which runs circles around Phillips, especially when power driving), hardened, and notice that the threads are larger than the shank. This means that one pilot hole though both pieces is usually sufficient. These things are harder than woodpecker lips so they don't round off.

The #6 pan head on the right and the black flat head with the trim washer have both square and phillips drive features.

They are available in round head (pan head), truss head, flat head, etc usually in black or the brownish color shown. Finishing washers are also available for that "factory" look. These screws are the cat's pajamas for fastening plywood.

Here is the link to Mcfeely's:

http://www.mcfeelys.com/index.php/screws-fasteners.html

I haven't checked but places like Rockler but they probably also carry these.
Attached Thumbnails
binding.JPG   screws.JPG  
2003 Honda Element
Old 01-11-2015, 10:05 AM   #134

I love square drive too. It's much better than phillips. Lowe's and HD carry them in my area but probably not in stainless or any odd sizes etc. They are great for all wood projects IMO.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:14 PM   #135

More progress......I got the cushions upholstered......

The tops are grey perforated leather "findings".....they are die-cut leftovers from an auto seat manufacturer. They are seat parts (panels) and come in packs of 10 for $7.00 at the local upholstery supply house. I had to pick through the packages for the largest pieces; some are the sides of upper front seats, so a little skinnier at the top than at the bottom; the skinny dimension drove how many rectangular panels I would need for each cushion.

The pattern for the cushion tops was pretty much driven by the size of these leather pieces. There is foam backed automotive headliner sewed to the underside of the perforated leather so that you don't see the cushion foam through the holes. The camera picked up some sparkelies through the holes on the seat back; it's the headliner foam but it does not show through in real life......

The vinyl is the same "pleather" that I've used a few other places. The foam is 1" of Q31 and 3" of Q41 (Q41 is stiffer than Q31) that I also purchased from the local upholstery supply house.

I went for double stitching on the leather.....the thread was supposed to be a burgundy, and is a bit lighter than I was hoping for, but I can live with it.

2003 Honda Element
Old 02-06-2015, 08:53 PM   #136

Nice work man! What do you have for a sewing machine? In my spare time ( ), I've been reading a lot and watching a lot of videos about upholstery. I'm curious what your setup looks like and what you like about it and what you'd do differently if you had the chance?
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:10 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks
What do you have for a sewing machine?
We borrow the neighbor's singer once in a while..........I paid an upholsterer to do the upholstery..... ....re-reading my post I see that I forgot to mention that little tid-bit......

We did look into upholstery-duty sewing machines; there is a place in Santa Ana CA that rents them, but, like you my time is limited........gotta draw the line somewhere...
2003 Honda Element
Old 02-06-2015, 09:35 PM   #138

Sewing machines? Wife has three Juki's. all industrial, crazy fast, powerful units. These things are just this side of scary for me!!
Old 02-06-2015, 10:16 PM   #139

Boywonder, men you work looks great! I have a SMB installed propane tank if you want to look that over for ideas.

And keep up the postings ..
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:03 AM   #140

Great work and nice rig!
LandyChris is offline   Reply With Quote