Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2015, 02:18 PM   #221

Re: Popping my top

Viva, it sounds like the drawer slides that boywonder has require you to push them in to release them. I think they are usually called "Push to Open" drawers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
I picked up Accuride drawer slides that require pushing in to release the drawers; they work great and are affordable.
[youtube:31uwiydt]

Old 08-31-2015, 04:25 PM   #222

Love the flush drawers! They turned out great and really add to the clean lines of your build. Great idea on the push to open drawer slides too - perfect application.

Viva - I used the self closing/soft close drawer slides in our van and to date they have had enough holding power to keep the drawers in place while driving. It takes a little more effort to open them, but I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me. I've previously used the camco RV door catches. They were effective in keeping the drawers closed but required just as much pull as these drawer slides and were prone to failure / breaking after a while.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:08 PM   #223

Beautiful work man!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:41 PM   #224

Viva: My drawer slides are exactly what Ben10281 posted above; made by Accuride. You push them in about .080" and they release to open. They are mechanically held closed, no magnets. When they release, they pop open about 2" or so. When they are closed, I've yanked on them quite hard and they don't open...don't want to break anything....

I pitched the packaging for the slides but I'll check the receipt. I bought them at Austin Hardwoods in Santa Ana CA but I'm sure you can find them online and other places. Accuride is big in the drawer slide business.

If you want overlay type drawer fronts, they will need to have .080" clearance to the face frame to allow you to push them in sufficiently to get them to release.

Looking at the instructions that came with the slides, they are available std duty and heavy duty. I'm not sure which ones I've got but I'm assuming std duty.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:45 PM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
If you want to practice more with various modifications I'll be happy to drop my van off with a list.

...We could try gluing headliner material to the floor and see how that works out...
2003 Honda Element
Old 08-31-2015, 06:08 PM   #226

Got the ceiling trim pieces installed and wired.

The fan is a Caframo "ultimate" hard wired fan. 2 speeds and a floppy rubber blade that won't gouge your eyes out if you walk into it.......we'll see.........

Two of the round LED lights are wired with the forward cab dome light (one light on each side), so they illuminate when the doors are opened or when the headlight switch is rotated full left (I've been driving imports for decades so I find this rather nostalgic). The opposite two LED ceiling lights are switched at the side barn door control panel.

I didn't want any exposed fasteners so these are screwed to the ceiling from the top down. That required removal of the PH springs to access the rails to drill and countersink hole for the screws.
2003 Honda Element
Old 08-31-2015, 07:00 PM   #227

Ha ha, bed facing microwave! You like to microwave while in bed! Popcorn and a movie? Pizza? Coffee in the a.m.?
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:55 PM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
Ha ha, bed facing microwave! You like to microwave while in bed! Popcorn and a movie? Pizza? Coffee in the a.m.?
I'm in love with microwaves! At home I have a Samsung micro/toaster oven/oven combo unit...it's cooked about 5000 things since I've got it.

Now I just need to figure out were to locate the Propex thermostat so I don't have to get out of bed to turn the heat on........the trick is to do this both from the bottom bunk and when the bed is in the penthouse....my arms aren't that long......

Actually, the micro ended up rear facing due to the required bed length.....the 80" long bed compressed the sink cabinet lengthwise. This also drove the tiny Truckfridge......I was hoping for a larger fridge but comfortable sleeping won out.....That cabinet has an incredibly high appliance density..
2003 Honda Element
Old 08-31-2015, 10:32 PM   #229

Thanks to everyone who responded with info on the drawer slides.

Boy Wonder: I know what you mean about the dome light switch being nostalgic. I mean shoot, just pulling the knob to turn the headlights on reminds me of the old days

I look around your build shots and see so many good ideas.

Viva
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:13 PM   #230

The interior work is looking great. I like the push to open drawer slides.
Did you go with the 3" 130 lumen 30 LED lights? What do you think of the light output? I just finished my headliner and I installed six 110 lumen 2.75" lights, when I ordered them I was unsure how bright it would be. Now that they are in I am sure glad I wired them to switch in pairs of two, with all six of them on its is bright, but not to bright. I ended up getting these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OD ... UTF8&psc=1
I liked the black trim and am pleased with them so far?
TeleSteve is offline   Reply With Quote