Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2015, 08:13 AM   #271

Re: Popping my top

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA

Excellent adaptation to the RSC module---love the extinguisher nest.
Well, it wasn't designed for the extinguisher...I just chucked it in there for now.....

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:56 AM   #272

Been dialing in the stereo a bit more....random pics:

Here are the Dayton Mid-woofers in the doors with the home-brewed 1st order crossover at 8Khz. 1/4" baltic birch adapter plate. I used the stock speakers as a template for the adapters.

The sub mounted in the rear door panel had endless rattles that I've been chasing, so I knocked out a box for the sub that can also double as a bed panel support when the seat is in bed mode.

This is in seat configuration.....the speaker is facing forward and flush with the control panel.

Rotate the speaker in bed mode to support extended panel

2003 Honda Element
Old 12-02-2015, 09:39 AM   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller
Great thread with lots of good ideas. I like the drop down propane mount, to lower it you could carry a small battery powered drill, and it's usefull for a lot of other things too. What prevents the screws from loosening due to vibration?
Torque and locktite....same as a static propane tank mount
[/quote

Actually I was referring to the jack screws that raise and lower the tank

Are you referring to the adjustments in your head unit or power amp for subwoofer outputs?

My head unit has adjustments for things like "bass and mid center frq, and Q factor" the amp has similar settings. At this point I've adjusted for the best sound, but the best setting varys a lot depending on the music at the moment. I'm guessing there must be a middle ground somewhere? Thanks.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:31 PM   #274

The raise/lower screws are locktited and jamb-nutted to the knobs. Torque when the tank is raised fully....the screws tighten the two aluminum blocks together. I'll keep an eye on them, so far so good.

Q factor is interesting.....the higher the Q factor, the boomier the bass will be. A Q of .707 (square root of 2) is critical damping and would be considered tight bass, ie no overshoot (which is the single note boominess). Some folks find low Q's like above too tight/restricted sounding, and many speaker enclosures are designed with Q's up to around 1 or so....considered mellower but "more" bass. Much above a Q of 1 things get very boomy.

Note: The X axis of the chart below can also just be generalized bass frequencies......the axis shown is normalized for frequency to cut off frequency.

2003 Honda Element
Old 12-03-2015, 12:43 AM   #275

there's a flashback to playing with WINisd. Still have a few homebuilt sub plan files sitting somewhere.
Waterski02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:53 AM   #276

Yup.....I have WinISD loaded on a few machines and use it occasionally.
2003 Honda Element
Old 12-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #277

Door galley is installed....finally! Still waiting on the Southco latch for the countertop. I ordered one from Ebay and the seller sent the wrong part; they are sending a replacement.

I installed riv-nuts (rivet nuts) in the door sheet metal. Here is a pic of a riv-nut:

Riv-nuts come in a few different materials....aluminum is easy to install if you can live with aluminum threads. I could only get steel ones so this is what I went with.

I have an installation tool but these can also be installed in a more "pedestrian" fashion using a screw of the proper size. Simply drill a hole the same size as the riv nut OD (you want a sung fit), insert the riv-nut into the hole and swage in place with the tool or just by tightening a screw really tight. The screw method requires a tight fit of the riv nut in the hole to assure that it doesn't spin when swaging.

I splurged a bit in a moment of weakness and bought black oxide hardware from McMaster for the friction hinges, right down to fancy "black Luster" cap nuts. The cables are used bicycle shifter cables (Shimano stainless SIS wire).

2003 Honda Element
Old 12-04-2015, 09:32 AM   #278

Looks great.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:42 AM   #279

Garage

^^^ x2.

great idea on the shifter cables as well. its time to swap ours on both bikes. now i have an actual reason to save them instead of my usual hoarding reasons.

also love the rivnuts. things work great.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:16 AM   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
^^^ x2.

great idea on the shifter cables as well. its time to swap ours on both bikes. now i have an actual reason to save them instead of my usual hoarding reasons.

also love the rivnuts. things work great.

When I do cable maintenance, I replace all of the SIS housing, and re-use the rear wire on the front derailleur. I hoard the old fronts sometimes but they are kind of useless. I also use stainless Shimano SIS wire, works the best for me for almost 25 years.....
2003 Honda Element