Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #71

Re: Popping my top

Great flooring ideas. I have been considering the Bedrug Vantred rubber floor, not the carpet they sell. My only complaint with it is it is ribbed to fit the original floor, which is good that it will keep in place that way, but bad that like JWA mentioned moisture can hide under it and it just doesn't seem like it will be thick or insulating enough the way it's made. I really enjoyed my rigid foam/plywood floor in my last build. It's very easy to build/attatch cabinets, etc to.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:32 PM   #72

boywonder-

thank you so much for that response... it helps.... i already have a LOT of holes in the bottom of the van from the original plywood that was just screwed into the metal....perhaps i will utilize those holes?!

i know that there is all kinds of stuff in this forum about various types of insulation.... the carpet padding approach seems easy enough....

when i said i had very little experience doing any off this kind of stuff i meant fixing/building in general... i have a few friends who are handy and they have helped.....other than that half of this project is learning how to do this kind of stuff which i am really enjoying though it is going SLOWLY!!

here's another ? for you... when you attach your screws through the bottom to the furring strips will you then seal those with something like a silica/silaflex or something? thank you again so much for your help.... i'll be posting a gallery of what's happening with my van when i get a chance.... i'm just learning to use this forum as well!!! - choochee
Attached Thumbnails
sm1.jpg  
choochee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:57 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by choochee
boywonder-

here's another ? for you... when you attach your screws through the bottom to the furring strips will you then seal those with something like a silica/silaflex or something? thank you again so much for your help.... i'll be posting a gallery of what's happening with my van when i get a chance.... i'm just learning to use this forum as well!!! - choochee

Sikaflex would work fine to seal the screws.....I'm hoping that the bituthane strips will seal the screw holes as well. If not, then I'll use something else.......
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:21 AM   #74

A quick update........I've made some progress on the van, but my new job has significantly limited my van project time.

I've got the floor in and the Nautalex Decko Dot glued down, and we have started to fabricate the interior cabinetry. The present plan is a 50-ish layout that is lightweight and easily removable, and it's coming along quite well, although really slow.

I'm presently in Melbourne Australia for work; been here for a week, and have 3 weeks to go. I'll hopefully post a few pics when I get back stateside.

Funny enough, my last post above was the day that I started the new job.........

There are some really cool vans around here as well.
2003 Honda Element
Old 07-20-2014, 08:12 AM   #75

Finally found some time to get some work done.....

I took the van to Kennedy Meadows, CA & Moab recently and it's worked out great so far, just need to keep going on the interior.

Here are a few shots of the first box for the back of the bus.

The box is baltic birch covered in nautalex decko dot marine flooring. The aluminum channel and angle will support the sofa-bed; this should become clearer as I get further along. The front upper panel that's not completed yet will be pleather to match the cushions and the roof lift blocks.

My present plan is to make the sofa-bed 39 1/2" wide (same width as the PH bed); there will be 3 cushion panels, seat base, back and shelf panel behind the seat. These panels would also be used as the PH bed if desired, allowing more sleeping capacity by having the panels up top and another pad setup (Thermarest) on the rear floor.

This box may contain the inverter and batteries, haven't decided yet. The top of the box is planned to be 2 removable panels. I also fabricating a panel for the front of this cabinet for the solar controller, inverter remote panel, and a handful of switches.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN8633.JPG   DSCN8632.JPG   DSCN8631.JPG  
2003 Honda Element
Old 07-20-2014, 08:14 AM   #76

A few more pics....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN8634.JPG   DSCN8635.JPG   DSCN8636.JPG  
2003 Honda Element
Old 07-20-2014, 08:16 AM   #77

Controller panel partially done......

I cut the top off of the side door foot well trim, I'm planning on buying another one of these and cutting the bottom off of it, and overlapping them, so that they trim out the floor which is about 1" taller than the factory carpet.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN8637.JPG   DSCN8639.JPG  
2003 Honda Element
Old 07-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #78

Love that flooring stuff you are using for the panels. Any idea where I can get a sample? Is it Expen$ive etc?

Thanks, looking' good.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Love that flooring stuff you are using for the panels. Any idea where I can get a sample? Is it Expen$ive etc?

Thanks, looking' good.

It's called Nautalex Decko Dot Marine flooring....I picked it up at http://www.yourautotrim.com/dedotriro.html

$15 a running yard (river rock & black are both closeouts), 60" wide

If you want a sample PM me your address & I'll mail you a sample.
2003 Honda Element
Old 08-17-2014, 10:18 PM   #80

More progress......

Got the driver's side box started. There will be a "50" style beach seat that turns into a 80" long bed; it's 3 pieces and can also be used as the penthouse bed. The two plywood strips shown are the same width as a PH bed; they are spacing the boxes correctly for fabricating the various panels.

Hopefully things will become clearer as I get further along.......

I purchased another plastic "scuff plate" for the side door foot well and ran it through the band saw to remove the bottom half and overlapped it with the existing bottom half for a factory look with the raised flooring.
Attached Thumbnails
scuff plate.JPG   scuff plate 2.JPG   drivers side 900 pixels.jpg  
2003 Honda Element