Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2022, 10:26 AM   #371

Here's the tape at Field Van:

Pop Top Protective Tape

I wasn't able to find anything similar elsewhere--if you do, please post it!

Old 04-12-2022, 07:45 AM   #372

I can’t find that specific tape that field can offers and they are back ordered over a month but here are some other options. I just received the Amazon one and will probably just use it.

I’d love to find something with a foam adhesive back as I feel like it would stick better to my raptor liner paint but I’ll see how this goes.

https://www.mcmaster.com/uhmw-polyethylene-tape/

TapeCase - 2-5-423-5 423-5 UHMW Tape Roll 2 in. (W) x 15 ft. (L) - Abrasion Resistant High Tack Acrylic Adhesive. Sealants and Tapes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00823JFAI...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Justgosurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 07:47 AM   #373

Has anyone else saved links to other pop top installs? I finally just got my EB frame rails shortened and plan to start reassembling the top in the next week or so.

Would love to skim through a couple builds again before diving in for good.

The welds aren’t the prettiest but they’ll work and they only cost 6 Miller lights. (Thanks Jay)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8388.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	43576

Name:	IMG_8392.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	43577

Name:	IMG_8400.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	43578
Justgosurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:15 PM   #374

[/QUOTE]

How long is the actual top?
This is what I will try to accomplish with my truck. I pretty much want to cover the whole roof but the top im looking at is not long enough.
Did you modify the lenght of the frame/rails?
Thanks in advance!
Justanotherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 09:11 AM   #375

Finally got my compressor installed.....

This stuff has been sitting in my garage for years

Bought the compressor from Craigslist about 6+ years ago.

NEMA box is from member Nick (thanks! works great)

Tank is from an old hot dog compressor, also from Craigslist.

All the fittings, air filters etc are work project leftovers that have been stored away for years as well.

I just had to buy the ARB braided lines and some JIC/AN to NPT fittings and I also bought ARB quick couplers.......one on each bumper.

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 09:18 AM   #376

@boywonder -- Beautiful install. Is that where your spare tire was mounted from factory? Do you have an under floor storage box above that area? Hard to tell from the photos.
clicker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 09:21 AM   #377

Yes it's where the spare was......no underfloor box....
2003 Honda Element
Old 04-10-2023, 09:24 AM   #378

Garage
Nice install! This is one of the next things I need to do on my van and I was thinking of adding it to the same spot.
aarcaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 05:39 AM   #379

I've been following

@Boywonder I've read Soo many of your post. I have a 89 Ford Econoline that I self converted a couple years ago. I just adjusted my springs and have to do my canvas this year. Thankfully when I installed it I did so how you said and won't have to remove the entire roof.

That being said I've searched and searched I jnly have the large garage style springs. I cannot find a picture or diagram of these "helper springs" not in stock for or in your new modified gas strut form. Is there a build thread with some photos of old and new? Could you post some photos on it I would really like to make my pop top easier for the wife. We've got a solar panel and roof vent up there. Thanks for your contributions to this community 🤙
Urbanoverlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 08:37 AM   #380

There have been a few folks that don't seem to have the helper springs, but typically they are either 12" or 24" long. The 12" long ones seem to work better than the longer ones since the spring rate is doubled compared to the longer ones (same wire diameter and same coils per inch).

The springs are compressed when the roof is down and help for the first few inches of lift, where some force is really needed. The way the crossbars scissor up and down requires a boatload of force to get them to lift when the roof is fully down.

The helper springs sit in the channel behind the rear crossbar pivots; the ones that slides in the tracks. If you look at the sidewall of the channel where the crossbar mounts you'll see a 10" long channel. That's the approximate distance the rear crossbar mount slides from to full up to top full down.

The springs are typically 3-4" away from the crossbar when the top is up, so their usable compression is 6"-7" based on the 10" travel of the crossbar mount.

The springs also require top plates screwed into the channel to prevent them from shooting out of the channel when compressed. This is a real danger as the spring is under 100's of pounds of force when compressed and could easily injure someone or worse.

The gas strut design is something I developed and I use it in my van..it's not something Sportsmobile ever offered.

Details of the springs are in post #73 here:

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ed-5080-8.html
2003 Honda Element