Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 11:33 PM   #21

project updates..

Ok so now I am "balls deep" into this build to the tune of about 29 grand..and 100+ hours labor and still yet to start on the camper conversion or pop top.. So 30k is not going to do it..
Van Purchase -6500
New windshield -250
back reg -700
tires and wheels -2000
paint and body -3000+
u-joint 4x4 conversion parts -7000
axels -2000
transfer case -1000
trans rebuild and upgrades -4000
brakes -550
drive shafts -1000
fluids -300
sound system -300
porta potti -200
air bed -100
but its bad ass... and still has only 52k miles.. hopefully 40k all in will do it??

Not bad for 3 months in but I did not consider all the little expenses and trips to auto zone...
next week a three week trip to Idaho to work out the bugs..
wish me luck more to come.

VanDude72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:55 PM   #22

Your just missing one thing, head room! You should throw on an EB raised roof fiberglass top from Fiberine, OH, I just happen to have two of them BRAND new for less than 1/2 price $1200.00!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:50 AM   #23

Trip #1 2400 miles, Sf bay to far north Idaho and back

Van performed excellent, camping set up was primitive, air bed a yeti, porta potti, rubber made bins for gear. I cut out refletix and attached panels with velcro to the windows for privacy and hit the road. Weather was nice no need for heat and slept very comfortable in the van.. Home now and now its time to start the interior build-out. Vanamal.. I am leaning more towards the sports mobile type pop top rather than a fiberglass roof for more head room.. I did hit heavy winds through the middle of Idaho and I don't want more surface area up high that will cause less favorable handling in the wind. I had a coachmen van with a high roof in the past and it was terrible to drive in windy conditions. Up on 35s as it is I am pretty top heavy... but it handles the windy roads very well. Time to order the aluminess bumpers, make an appointment at smb fresno for the new top and break out another 10k.. arrgh.. but I am still way ahead when I see what other rigs with higher miles are going for..
Old 07-22-2018, 10:17 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDude72 View Post
Van performed excellent, camping set up was primitive, air bed a yeti, porta potti, rubber made bins for gear. I cut out refletix and attached panels with velcro to the windows for privacy and hit the road...

That's the way to do it, take it on a trip before committing to an interior, that way you see what your particular needs are

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDude72 View Post
I am leaning more towards the sports mobile type pop top rather than a fiberglass roof for more head room.. I did hit heavy winds through the middle of Idaho and I don't want more surface area up high that will cause less favorable handling in the wind.

My van has a fiberglass hard top, 4x4 leaf sprung on 33's, and have been in a lot of crosswinds. The additional top height/weight is not a problem. Don't get me wrong, a big slab-sided van, motorhome, heck look at 18 wheeler big rigs, all take some technique in cross winds.

"It's like dancing with a big girl, some times you lead, sometimes you let her lead" ...So long as your suspension is up to the task, and you aren't running passenger car tires, you're good. One man's opinion.

Either way you go, your going to increase the capability and camp friendliness about 2-fold
Old 07-23-2018, 11:57 AM   #25

Pics from trip

Camp spots.. along the trip
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180701_150848412_HDR.jpg   IMG_20180630_193545301.jpg  
Old 08-14-2018, 09:14 AM   #26

I’m running the Agile tuned Fox shocks with a high top and I don’t have any sway bars (sway bars removed). I thought it might be difficult to drive without the sway bars but the shocks are valved so well that it tracks awesome and handles like it’s on rails on the twistes. Last trip through UT and NV we hit some serious cross winds and it tracked well and never “wandered” out of the lanes on freeway driving at 75mph. If there is anything that I recommend to everyone I talk to it is to get Agile tuned (valved) Fox shocks. Ramsey knew his shit when it came to shocks and his shocks are awesome on these vans. My .02 cents. FWIW
Old 08-14-2018, 01:27 PM   #27

What year front axle did you use for your 4x conversion?

Did you order the mounting brackets to convert it or put together your own set up using a combination of brackets from suppliers.?
Old 08-30-2018, 11:08 AM   #28

Sorry for the delay been out roaming in the van! I used an axel out of a 2015 f-250 with only 25k on it. I did the u-joint route since he had the most complete kit and he had made some changes to the original mg kit by adding more support to the track bar mount and adding a upper high steer bracket to the right outer knuckle in order to get the geometry correct between the track bar and the steering link. It performs very well in my opinion with the six inch springs. Still waiting on my rear springs but I ran blocks for rear lift this summer and put 6k miles traveling with zero issues.. So far very happy with the vans performance and it looks very good on the 35ich tires!