Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2016, 04:42 PM   #1

Propane Heater vent question

Well, with the temps dropping household 6 aka the wife says its time to install a heater. I sourced a nice old Atwood and have it ready for the install but I have a question on the vent. Does anyone know if the vent and be at a 90 degree angle to vent from the van? In other words I am looking to install the furnace body parallel to the wall of the van and then run the vent out through the same wall. Will this work? Is this a horrible idea? Thanks all.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:40 PM   #2

Where is your combustible air intake going to be located? That needs to draw from outside.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Where is your combustible air intake going to be located? That needs to draw from outside.
It is in combination with the exhaust and ideally I want to run it perpendicular to the furnace body so instead of it running straight out the back through the van wall it would be out of the back and then a 90 degree angle then through the van wall. Not sure if it is going to work, although I haven't found any evidence why not, but I suspect the 90 degree turn might be a no no.

It looks like this.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #4

See what the install manual says or call Atwood tech. Maybe two 45's can get you what you want.

Be careful on the heated inside air side. That air is really hot, too!
Old 11-02-2016, 08:41 PM   #5

Garage
No, check the instructions. The combination intake and exhaust fitting must be attached directly to the furnace. It is somewhat adustablecfor wall thickness though.

That is why some prefer the Propex furnace, which has flex tuning for both intake and exhaust.