Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2010, 08:39 AM   #1

Propane installer near Seattle?

I'd like to pay someone to install a propane tank and related plumbing, rather than do it myself. I'm not sure who to contact to get it done, though. Does anyone here have suggestions on:

- specific shops with knowledge of propane installation on vans
- category of shops I can start calling

I always get nervous having someone else do work for me - they never do a very good job! I'd love for GTRV to do the work (2.5 hours away near Vancouver) but I don't think they do small jobs like this. So recommendations of good shops would make it a bit easier

Thanks for any help.
Mike.

mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:49 AM   #2

Garage
Re: Propane installer near Seattle?

Van Specialties in Portland/Lake Oswego can do it for sure.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:02 AM   #3

I called a local place in Seattle who work on Westfalias for a propane conversion and install of a propex heater. They quoted me about $1500 for tank and plumbing and heater install. I tried finding their info again and I seem to have misplaced it. I think if I was to do something I would go with the above reference. I talked to van specialities already on adding two removable headrests to my rear bench seat which they can do. Seem like they will do whatever you want for your van. I cannot speak to quality or anything else since I have not used them yet.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey
I'd love for GTRV to do the work (2.5 hours away near Vancouver) but I don't think they do small jobs like this. Mike.
I would call them and ask. Never decide what somebody will do, let them tell you - you may be pleasantly surprised. A phone call is cheap.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #5

Thanks everyone!

I did contact Van Specialties last summer - they quoted about $1200 for the tank and installation, bringing the plumbing into the inside of the van. They're a bit farther than I like, considering I don't know anything about their work, though. I don't want to pay someone to install the access door a little crooked, or to drill sloppy holes, or something...

GTRV have been helpful. I emailed them last summer as well - at the time, they were completely booked with full conversions, but they said to contact them again in the fall to see if they had time. I emailed them this week and will see what they say. I expect it's Christmas break for them right now, though. They'd be my first choice, if the cost wasn't too much - I've seen a bunch of their work recently and the workmanship looks very nice. I think they take great pride in their work.

Thanks for the Westy idea, Roonie - I hadn't thought of that. The price sounds in line with Van Specialities' quote. I have a Propex in the garage waiting to be installed. Was it NorthWesty? (www.kirkmeeks.com)

Although the more I talk about it (and the more times I type out four-figure prices for the installation!) the more I think I could do it myself. For the cost of installation (~$1000 when you take out the cost of the tank) I could probably have my garage door header raised and get the van inside for some winter work

Any more suggestions welcomed.

Thanks again!
Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:17 AM   #6

Yes it was Northwesty (http://www.north-westy.com/) that I called. Looking back at my notes the propex heater runs about $800 and the propane tank ran about $450. Total install was about $1650 or so they said including labor.

For comparison I called SMB West and talked to Peter and he said they could install the propane system and suburban heater for $3000.

Let me know what you find. I am very interested in doing the same also from Seattle.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #7

Van Specialties has a good reputation, they are also known as Outside Van.

HTH

Rick
RickL is offline   Reply With Quote