Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2022, 03:30 PM   #1

Propane locker vent proximity to muffler

Hi guys!

I'm building out my van and I've decided on a location for my propane locker. I'm going to put a vent in the floor, but the location I've chosen is pretty much directly above the muffler. It's the "wide" part that allows for expansion. There is a shield between the muffler and the floor of the body, where the vent would be.

Am I going to blow my van up if I put the vent here?

Any advice is appreciated.

Shane

Chams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:48 PM   #2

Garage
I'd be real concerned about getting stuck in traffic while you are either moving extremely slowly, or in a stop-n-go scenario - heat rises!

EDIT: Obviously have no idea how much work (and cutting) it would take to complete your install, but if its not a big issue you could proceed BUT after you have it as you envisioned I would put one of those outdoor wireless Temp monitors just above your vent. Then run the Van to get everything up to operating temperature. Once you're at that point, just let the Van idle for 15-20 minutes to see how much heat bleads into that compartment (I'm assuming you are using some sort of enclosure to seal the tank from the interior).
If it proves to be too hot, plug the vent, insulate the bottom a little & convert the space to some sort of hidden on-board storage or security compartment???
Old 01-11-2022, 07:35 AM   #3

At this stage, I haven't done anything I can't change with regard to the propane system, and I haven't cut the hole yet. That is some actionable advice though. I wasn't concerned about the locker itself getting hot actually, I'm more worried about the propane tank venting, creating a volume of combustible gas below the van, and it being ignited by the muffler itself. The muffler is a bit rusty so I'm fearful of it developing a hole.
Chams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 06:05 AM   #4

Run a shielded hose to below the muffler assy. Propane is heavier than air.
Dearranged is offline   Reply With Quote