Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #1

Propex HS2000 getting error 5

I installed a Propex HS2000 about this time last year and it worked perfectly thru the winter all was good I was a happy camper. Tested it three weeks ago before heading into the mountains and it gets an error 5. Per manual that means the fresh air or exhaust tubes may be restricted, so I swabbed them both out and it all came back clean. I blew compressed air thru the tubes and tried the heater same issue. Dinked around with it for a while still gets the error. Sent it to Karl at Westy ventures and he ran it for a week with no problem, said it ran perfectly could be the thermostat, so he sent it back along with a new thermostat. I putt it all back in and I'm getting the same error tomorrow ill pull the tubes out and run them strait with no bends in them see what happens.

Anyone have this issue? What fixed it?

Thanks!

Yodavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #2

Re: Propex HS2000 getting error 5

Did you get the error figured out? I'm trying to decide between a Propex or Atwood heater, I'd like to hear about your experience with the propex (although I'm sure your disappointed considering it isn't working)
tyc221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #3

Garage

Our Propex hasn't given any errors. Some ideas:

My instructions for the 2000 were very clear the inlet and exhaust tube had to be the same length, and both run outside the van, or it would give errors.

These heaters are supposed to be insensitive to voltage variation, but maybe a weak battery could cause this?
Old 11-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #4

Karl at Westy ventures has been very responsive and sent me a new circuit board which I installed but it did not resolve the issue. He sent me a UPS shipping label and asked for the propex and all the parts including the tubes. I check with him on Monday and he found a small spider web in the air flow sensor. He said that he replaced the sensor I has sent it back so I'm hoping to get it tomorrow and put it back in this weekend. On another note go with the larger unit if you have the space for it.
Yodavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #5

Can I ask why you recommend the larger one? Dose yours have trouble keeping the van warm? can you give me some insight into how your van is insulated? and do you have a pop top or a fixed top? Any idea what the coldest night you used it was and how warm it kept the van? Thanks for all the info it's hard to decide what heater is going to work best especially when there are so many variables between each users van.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #6

Garage

Thanks a lot for posting this! We leave our van parked outside at home and we do have spiders as well as hornets. It seems like some preventive inspection/cleaning would be appropriate.

If I recall the heater had warning labels saying DON'T OPEN but I've never paid any attention to those.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #7

I had that error when we first installed ours. We did the same things you did to clear the code and it worked. Have not seen that error since.

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #8

Brent,

I read your build thread all the way through, how did your heater work once you added the insulation, I know you tried it when the van wasn't insulated and had to build a cocoon to keep in the heat.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #9

LOL, almost forgot about those trial days.

The heater does an amazing job now with the interior changes and it cycles much less.

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #10

Brent,

Any idea what the coldest night you used it was? I think you had said it needed to stay 65-70 in the van, to be up to your wife's specs (Which is my wife's rule as well) Also do you have the 2000, or 2800