Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Re: Q Van Build Up

Dual alternators?

I may have just had one.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
Dual alternators?

I may have just had one.

Z

Yeah, I went to replace the alternator and after I pulled it off the engine (located on top of engine), I looked down and noticed that there was another one at the bottom!

Seems it was an option that you could order on the 7.3s
Adventr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

On 6.0s too. Ambulances tended to have them.

I understand Quigley has a major update available to help cure wander. A friend installed it on his '03 and seemed happy. Longer front trailing arms or some such. Big job to install. Are you listening Aldercrest?

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #14

Sweet ride! How in the heck did you find it? I'm in Tn. and would fly to Ca or wherever tomorrow if I could just find stuff like this! Honestly, pm me if you'd rather not make it public.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Sweet ride! How in the heck did you find it? I'm in Tn. and would fly to Ca or wherever tomorrow if I could just find stuff like this! Honestly, pm me if you'd rather not make it public.

Thanks! It actually found me. I had my landcruiser listed for sale online, and this was offered in trade. Worked out good for both of us, as he already has a couple of UJOR Vans and I was looking for another project. Very nice guy to work with as well!

It does appear that a low-mile 7.3 passenger van is rather difficult to find, and 4wd vans are extremely rare/non existent in my area. I did have the owner of a local campground/canoe resort come up to me and try like crazy to buy it!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #16

BTS Transmission is located a mere hour from me, so I'm making an appointment to take it over and get it inspected. If the transmission is in as good as shape as it feels (no doubt it is), it will be getting one of his custom valve bodies and some tuning.

After that, I'm going with either a DP Tuner or a PHP Tuner and a 4" exhaust to wake it up a bit.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #17

Garage

i just recently installed a 4" turboback and a ts performance 5 way tuner (tuner was 2-3 weeks later) for my 7.3. the f350 tunes were available (50, 75, 100, & 140hp options) for the e350, but not the idle control. So somehow the van is different than the truck. make sure the dp tuner is compatible before purchase

exhaust alone was pretty minor as far as seat of the pants could tell, but the tuner make a big difference. im keeping it in the 75hp position until i get some gauges. cant be out screwing around without knowing whats really going on. we are enjoying some better mpg's though.

i started looking at the f350 clusters and have noticed a couple of choices for the 03's. do i need to stick with the cluster that has the manual odometer like you did, or can i make the one with the digital odometer work? also wondering if it matters what years they come out of, and if you can adjust the odometer to match the current one? sorry for all the questions, but would really like to have the tach too.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventr
BTS Transmission is located a mere hour from me, so I'm making an appointment to take it over and get it inspected. If the transmission is in as good as shape as it feels (no doubt it is), it will be getting one of his custom valve bodies and some tuning.

After that, I'm going with either a DP Tuner or a PHP Tuner and a 4" exhaust to wake it up a bit.
Small world. My Excursion not only has a BTS trans in it, the Excursion itself was rebuilt and owned by the Thompson's (the 'T' in BTS). I didn't but it directly from the Thompson's, there was an owner between the time they owned it and I owned it. Great trans!

Herb
Old 07-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
i just recently installed a 4" turboback and a ts performance 5 way tuner (tuner was 2-3 weeks later) for my 7.3. the f350 tunes were available (50, 75, 100, & 140hp options) for the e350, but not the idle control. So somehow the van is different than the truck. make sure the dp tuner is compatible before purchase

exhaust alone was pretty minor as far as seat of the pants could tell, but the tuner make a big difference. im keeping it in the 75hp position until i get some gauges. cant be out screwing around without knowing whats really going on. we are enjoying some better mpg's though.

i started looking at the f350 clusters and have noticed a couple of choices for the 03's. do i need to stick with the cluster that has the manual odometer like you did, or can i make the one with the digital odometer work? also wondering if it matters what years they come out of, and if you can adjust the odometer to match the current one? sorry for all the questions, but would really like to have the tach too.

On the DP Tuner website, he actually has a section just for the E-Series vans! Lots of different tunes to choose from, and he'll even do custom tunes for your setup.

On the clusters, if your van has the analog odometer, you'll need a 99-00 F series cluster that looks just like the one I have. The digital odometer clusters have a dedicated bus from the PCM, and our's don't support that.
The good news, is that your current odometer will pop right out of your van cluster, and into the F series cluster.

One more feature, that I will be doing this weekend, is that the F series clusters have a "4x4" indicator lamp. Quigley setup a small indicator light on my van that triggers once you move the t-case lever to 4wd, so I'm just going to transfer that wire to the correct pin on the F series cluster. That way when I put it in 4wd, it will look factory with the light on the cluster.

I'm trying to figure out if I can attach the wiring diagrams directly to the forum, so bear with me.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #20

Garage

right on man, appreciate all the info!

ill start searching for the 99-00 clusters. replacing the quigley 4wd light will be great as well. ive seen where others have done the same mod and looked forward to doing the same.

No rush on the diagrams either. if it would be easier to scan and email, im game for that too. whatever is easiest for you.

the shop that sold me my tuner said there are other tunes and that i can change them in the future when/if i get supporting mods. just kinda bummed me out that I couldnt get the high idle control so i could get rid of the bulky one i have now. he did say that his contact would let him know if they made the idle control an option for the van, but im not holding my breath.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote