Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2010, 08:00 PM   #41

Re: Quadvan Death Wobble

Wow you guy haven't experinced DW until you have driven a Unimog at 55 mph and hit a pot hole. 36 in tires combined with sitting on top of the wheel well, no power steer, and no power brakes (did I mention their is no power anything on a Unimog, including the 85 hp engine) fortunetaly I had an extra set of boxers in the back, turn out that it was low tires pressure. Still love the truck

Dave

unimogdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:10 PM   #42

I've always been intrigued by Unimogs. Maybe not so much now! Saw one with a neat camper built on the back heading into Saline valley last April...was that you? What is the upside of ownership? Like a yacht....2 good days...the day you buy and the day you sell.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_382
We have a 2008 Quigley with about 50,000 miles on it. I don't think what I have is any where near the "Death Wobble", but I do have some minor shimmy or wobble in the steering at certain speeds and certain road conditions. Usually starts around 45 to 55 mph and may even go away at higher speeds or maybe not. It's in the Ford shop right now getting new ball joints. The Ford dealer didn't think it was the wobble shock or the track bar bushings. Hope they are right, because it's going to be about 1,000 bucks for the ball joints and an alignment, etc. Let you know whether it helps or not. We will put about 600 miles on it this weekend. We have new tires on it, so I don't think it's a tire issue.
Just thought I would give another update. After the ball joints were done, the shimmy in the steering wheel was gone, but it still seemed to bounce around more than it should at 70 or so. Was about ready to give up, but took it back to Discount Tire again and asked them to REBALANCE the tires. The kid came back and said they were way out. Thought maybe some of the tape on weights had fallen off. (more likely, they didn't do it right the first time). Long story short, it now drives like it should at 70 mph, and the balancing was free. Question is, did I need to spend the bucks on the ball joints? Maybe not, even though they were a little loose. They probably would have gone for another 50,000 miles. Oh well........
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #44

I just installed the dual dampener kit that Quadvan is selling for the E-350 - or the F-350, for that matter - and I love it.

Here's the background. I had been following this thread and was interested in the idea of dual dampeners. I had never had a problem with any kind of wobble. A couple of weeks ago, though, I was on some horrendous roads in Jersey, near Newark. I mean, these roads are harder on your vehicle than any back road in Nevada that I have ever been on, no joking. Anyway, I went through the mother of all nasty potholes at about 50 and experienced a bad wobble. It kind of freaked me out, but it stopped within a few seconds, after I had let my foot off the gas. I stopped nearby and checked the front end, but everything seemed fine. I then continued the trip, which involved about 2000 miles over five days, to Indiana and back. I hit a lot of bad bumps and other things, but never got any wobble, just as I had never gotten any in my first 18,000 miles with the van.

I chalk it up to a really bad patch of road. The Quadvan has been superb in its road manners since I got it and this was just an odd experience. Still, I remembered this thread and my interest in dual dampeners, so I called up and got John, who told me that he had kits now that he was selling. He assured me it was strictly bolt-on - which is a factor for me as I live in NYC and have to work on the street - and that it would not take long to install. It was $500. I have always liked their mechanical design work, so I went for it.

It arrived this week, well packed, the main piece, the two Bilsteins, and the end pieces, along with a bag of nuts, bolts and washers. It was easy enough to figure out, but I asked them to send me some photos and they obliged. I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to mess it up.

Sure enough, it went on like a dream, everything fit, and it took me 40 minutes with hand tools. I love the way it drives in the short time I have been testing it. I'll give it a real workout in the next few weeks, but it is super smooth. As always, John and Blaine were really helpful and generous with their time on the phone when I had questions about it.

There are two bolts on the front that you'll see. These are for aluminum covers that are not built yet, but will be sent along once their sheet metal guy gets the designs. Quadvan is good about this kind of thing. I got a Buckstop bumper from them and they promised to send along the tow hooks when they were done. I forgot about it but, three months later, a package shows up with two heavy duty tow hooks.

Anyway, the shocks have no boot for the moment, but I'll bolt on the aluminum covers once they are sent to me. It feels good when I drive it and, like I said, I'll give it more of a workout once I get some time.

I'll post photos here from the front, the side, and one from the rear, showing the main part of it bolted onto the axle with two big U-bolts.

Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  
Old 07-21-2010, 07:52 PM   #45

Here are two other views of the Quadvan Dual Dampener kit installed. I'll be updating my interior build page soon, by the way, under "Whitey Ford," but it's a work-in-progress. I moved the fridge, built some shelves, and am about to put in some rubber tiles.

Attached Thumbnails
4.jpg   5.jpg  
Old 07-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #46

Nomadcat,
I just did the same install and now have zero wobble issues. The "feel" of the steering now comes close to my BMW. The Quadvan design is superior to the other high end damper kits I looked at. Also thanks for the explanation on the 2 bolts on the main bracket. John never mentioned about them.
Chris
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Old 07-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #47

Chris,

I took it out for an extended run today on the Long Island Expressway. It is amazing how much smoother the steering is. I am glad I did it.

Paul
Old 07-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #48

Similar in concept to the Skyjacker kit I installed. Probably has better quality shocks.

Why did you mount the shocks that way? When turning the wheel, you must move the shock body instead of just moving the piston/rods. Because the steering moves slowly and the mass involved is minimal, it probably doesn't make any difference - just an observation.

The Quadvan brackets are quite involved. It looks like the mounts will hold the brackets in place while you tighten the bolts, while the Skyjacker kit is quite loose and you must hold it where you want it while you tighten the bolts - not really difficult though.

You can see the Skyjacker brackets are quite simple by comparision. Neither better nor worse, just different.

Either kit will be much better than nothing. I'm really glad I did it.

Looking at the last picture I see the F-350 steering damper is still there - so I guess I have a triple damper setup. That sounds like overkill.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:27 PM   #49

I left the stock damper on. After having the wobble scare me too many times I figure there may be no such thing as overkill when it comes to DW.
The Quadvan design main axel mount actually works as a skid plate. It comes up at an angle in front of the tie rod and it is really beefy...weighs 15# at least.
As for the direction of the shocks....I just mounted them that way without having any pictures or directions. Not sure what the difference would be.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Old 07-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #50

I like the skid plate aspect, as well. Any little bit of armor helps.

I mounted them that way because Quadvan sent me a photo of them mounted that way and John always, but always has a pretty good reason for doing something a particular way. I just followed the directions.