Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #11

Re: Quick Build for Summer

So over the weekend some more goodies came in the post and with a bit of spare time I figured it would be a good idea to build for a while.

Stage 4 Goodies.
So I am still waiting for my second battery to show up at the shop but here is a quick photo of the setup. I chose to wrap the box in the material that I used on the floor because my son's car seat is right by it and he is inherently a messy boy. The folding bench seat I used had to be raised 2" to clear the subs that I have under neath. (2 JL 12w6v3) They really had enough room but I wanted to be sure that if some 300lbs person sat on that seat it would still have plenty of room. I just welded a couple bars into place and then fastened them all together. In the bed mode it does have a bit of an uneven lay but it is perfect for me and my wife does not use that part since she is 5'2".

In the box is a manual disconnect key to sep. the battery banks wired into a Blue Sea 7622 with the remote up in the drivers area. There is a small fuse box that uses the mini atms so I can keep the same style of fuses as the van. Found that thing at a junk yard for ATVs. It was on a polaris golf cart looking thing. A couple of circuit breakers for things like the Stereo amps and CB Amps and then the batteries. My Xantrex prosine 2.0 is still in transit but that will go in upon arrival.

Then I got the aluminess stuff for the final install in pouring down rain. My personal favorite condition to work in. When I did the tank it was snowing and I can honestly say I would take snow over rain any day. Luckily the box and ladder went on in minutes and did not require laying down in the mud. Oh note to self and others. DO NOT GO MUDDING just before you chose to swap a fuel tank that was a dirty lesson to learn.

The rear box is actually a custom size because the 37"s don't leave room for other sizes. I chose the Galley box to use as a cooking station and because the full size box was just to high with the lift to toss water cans and stuff on top of.

The ladder was simple but did have me wondering how much abuse it could take without ripping off. The other stuff I have mounted onto rain gutters in the past had much more beefy mounting brackets. The ladder just has two small set screws but I figure it is fine since plenty have gone before me with this product.

Three more things on the todo list. First is building my cabinets in the rear of the van. Two on each side that will offer a small crib area and an upper bunk bed for the daughter when in sleep mode.

Second is installing the steering stabilizers that I bought for the front. It drives fine without them but I went into the woods the other day and did a bit of wheeling and would like to remove that little bit of play that is still there.

The last and biggest improvement is the 8 piston calipers and big bite rotor upgrades that I ordered from SSBC brakes. I am going to do the swap on the front and then upgrade the rears to match. Unfortunately they don't make 8 piston upgrades for the rears. I am just sick and tired of the poor braking on this van and I think this is going to be a big improvement. Just waiting for them to arrive so I can install.

So three more things to nail down before we are camp ready for the summer. We'll have too see. I might never change the whole interior out because I have already been loving the setup that I have.

1980 Vanagon Westy (Taylor)
ProfessorPaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:46 PM   #12

Van looks great with the new additions!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #13

van is bad ass!!!
bill1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:16 PM   #14

So I got a little bit done on the van yesterday. Not as much as I was hoping but as much as can be hoped for with two kids under 3.

First thing was dropping the second battery in. Quick and simple.

Second thing was mounting dual stabilizers. Quick enough, had to bend and trim a few parts but go it mounted and then headed up into the snow.

After driving for a bit on some snowed in roads, airing down and digging tracks I got wild and stuck... winched out and then headed home. They make a big difference but you would never feel it on the road mainly in rutty bouncing off road... needed upgrade, maybe not, but it was worthwhile imo.

Next was installing some cabinets that I got all fixed up. The tops lock drawers into place and then the upper area turns into a bunk bed while the lower area is where a pack n play crib goes for the youngins. Glued down the veneers sat night and installed them today. They don't look like the cats meow but they are pretty functional for our purposes.

Till the next update
Old 04-06-2014, 09:45 PM   #15

Darn bro would have liked to have seen the beast when you came back, looks great and bad a..!!
Buck
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorPaddle
So I got a little bit done on the van yesterday. Not as much as I was hoping but as much as can be hoped for with two kids under 3.

First thing was dropping the second battery in. Quick and simple.

Second thing was mounting dual stabilizers. Quick enough, had to bend and trim a few parts but go it mounted and then headed up into the snow.

After driving for a bit on some snowed in roads, airing down and digging tracks I got wild and stuck... winched out and then headed home. They make a big difference but you would never feel it on the road mainly in rutty bouncing off road... needed upgrade, maybe not, but it was worthwhile imo.

Next was installing some cabinets that I got all fixed up. The tops lock drawers into place and then the upper area turns into a bunk bed while the lower area is where a pack n play crib goes for the youngins. Glued down the veneers sat night and installed them today. They don't look like the cats meow but they are pretty functional for our purposes.

Till the next update

Prof,
I would love to hear more about the battery setup that you went with; I am just starting to put info together for mine and am a bit overwhelmed!
Taylor3633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:19 PM   #17

Yo Taylor... There are going to be quite a few opinions on this subject and I would certainly suggest that my battery bank is not using the "best" battery options but I already had two of these Optima D31M (Which are pretty large Marine Batteries around 900cca). If I were to start over again I would probably opt for like 4 smaller cells from DEKA. That being said. The system is pretty simple.

The setup goes something like this.
Again forgive me because I am at work with only MS Paint to make this drawing.

Oh and no I did not include everysingle wire in this diagram... The grounds are not all spliced together and no the remote is not technically wired this way... again MS Paint and limited time mean quicky drawing but it should give you an idea.

The main reason the house batteries are isolated is because when I am running my radios amp it is nice to have the radios power source isolated from the actual amp. Due to line noise. Another thing is that I never run the Radio Amp and the Sound system at the same time due to the amount of draw on the system, unless I am on the road and the sub is not bumping, it would be pointless anyways because if the sub were drawing heavy amperage you would not hear a thing on the radio anyways.

Oh and I like circuit breakers for ease of tinkering with the system whilst power is connected.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Yo Taylor... There are going to be quite a few opinions on this subject and I would certainly suggest that my battery bank is not using the "best" battery options but I already had two of these Optima D31M (Which are pretty large Marine Batteries around 900cca). If I were to start over again I would probably opt for like 4 smaller cells from DEKA. That being said. The system is pretty simple.

The setup goes something like this.
Again forgive me because I am at work with only MS Paint to make this drawing.

Oh and no I did not include everysingle wire in this diagram... The grounds are not all spliced together and no the remote is not technically wired this way... again MS Paint and limited time mean quicky drawing but it should give you an idea.

The main reason the house batteries are isolated is because when I am running my radios amp it is nice to have the radios power source isolated from the actual amp. Due to line noise. Another thing is that I never run the Radio Amp and the Sound system at the same time due to the amount of draw on the system, unless I am on the road and the sub is not bumping, it would be pointless anyways because if the sub were drawing heavy amperage you would not hear a thing on the radio anyways.

Oh and I like circuit breakers for ease of tinkering with the system whilst power is connected.
Prof,
Somehow I missed that you had responded to my post... This is awesome; answers some questions for me and points me in the right direction. I am starting entirely fresh and will look into the deka option.
thanks again!
Taylor3633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #19

Last week I finally got all the parts together for my brake upgrade. Went with Drilled & Slotted SSBC Rotors along with the 8 Caliper Upgrade Kit.

After getting the new brakes installed I had a few other ends to tie up and then the following weekend I took the wagon for a stroll. After I went kayaking I decide it would be prudent to scout out some zones for future camping and activities.

Got to test out my new brakes and stabilizers on a creek bed that I drove up and then I also found out that I had accidentally left my towing hitch on.... OOps, it got dirty.

Found a few more things to nail down before I start taking it into the back areas around BC and overall I just had a good time. The brakes are pretty awesome by the way, have to wait to see how well they wear and last though.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Last week I finally got all the parts together for my brake upgrade. Went with Drilled & Slotted SSBC Rotors along with the 8 Caliper Upgrade Kit.

After getting the new brakes installed I had a few other ends to tie up and then the following weekend I took the wagon for a stroll. After I went kayaking I decide it would be prudent to scout out some zones for future camping and activities.

Found a few more things to nail down before I start taking it into the back areas around BC and overall I just had a good time. The brakes are pretty awesome by the way, have to wait to see how well they wear and last though.
Prof,

How are the SSBC brakes holding up? And what diameter are the rotors(SSBC site says they use stock 13" rotors?; http://ssbrakes.com/i-10093222-calip...grade-kit.html--for 3.73/4.10/4.30; http://ssbrakes.com/i-10093190-rotor...ght-front.html...but then I noticed that the F350's with 4.88/5.38's have 14" rotors; http://ssbrakes.com/i-10093186-rotor...ght-front.html
If you can only use 13" rotors that's a bit of a bummer--would like to see larger rotors to act as a larger heat sink for these big vans). I'm in great need of larger anchors, so it's either SSBC 8pot or OEM RSC 14.5" upgrade($4k incl Dynatrac bits, which I don't really need).

Thanks,
Jeremy
'07 E350 UJOR 6.0L
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote