Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2015, 06:45 PM   #1

RB50 Bench Seat with 3 point seat belts & head rest

I'm looking into doing a new rig and one of my focuses is increase safety for the back passengers. No sideways seating, 3 point belts, and head rests.

I'm thinking of doing a RB50 type layout but I would like a back seat which converts to a bed which has those things above and is going to hold up in a minor accident.

I've seen a bunch of these Eurovan/RB50 type seats online for sale in Euro but can't seem to find anywhere which supplies to the US. They often seem to be referred to as RIB seats. Here is one example available in the UK. These guys said they will not ship to the US.

http://www.kiravans.co.uk/scopema-rib-c ... to-order-1

They are not cheap coming in at about $2,000. That said they are a pretty major piece of any conversion.

Here in the US we can get fine products that look like they used to be in a vehicle used to carrying shag carpet.
https://www.discountvantruck.com/rvvans ... fabeds.htm

Anyone ever looked around to get something like this? Thanks,

Old 07-26-2015, 09:04 PM   #2
tlg

Garage
Re: RB50 Bench Seat with 3 point seat belts & head rest

Did a thread on installing headrests. Search the mods folder. The three point harness in the picture clips to an eyelet bolted on the seat frame. There's another one for the center seat. Hope this helps.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:40 AM   #3

I believe that RIB is a brand name and the seats are manufactured in France.
The generic term is "rock and roll bed"
If you google rock and roll van bed, there are lots of results.
These beds are really common in the (massive) European camper van market.
Quality and safety seems varied, but there are lots of options.
I believe that any German brands (Reimo) would require TUV approval and went through crash testing.

These seats have been discussed on the sprinter-source forum, but I am not sure if anybody has bought one.
Onefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrasclimber

Here in the US we can get fine products that look like they used to be in a vehicle used to carrying shag carpet.
https://www.discountvantruck.com/rvvans ... fabeds.htm
So true!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:54 AM   #5

Sierraclimber,

I've been looking at the same issue/question. At one point I was looking for a sofa bed/bench convertible, but not anymore. I'm building out my E350 with RB50 style layout.

Here is my build thread for background: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=15938

I've also posted a similar question on the interior forum, there are few replies that may help you: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=16410

My plans at this point is to find a takeout seat from an SUV or van that would work for my intentions. My van has a permanent raised bed in the back so I don't have room for a convertible sofa/bed. I had been hopeful I'd have room for it but I found now that it won't fit. So for my needs I'm looking for a 3 person bench seat that folds forward that will provide access to storage under the bed platform behind the seat. Right now I'm planning to use the 2nd row seat from a Yukon, Denali or Suburban. Ideally it would be a 60/40 seat with integral shoulder belts, headrests, etc. I'm not certain I'll get all that but that's what I'm looking for.

Here is a link to one on ebay that may work for my needs:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2012-OEM-C ... 1155507060

What about ordering an RB50 bench seat straight from Sportsmobile? Do they sell those?

If you do find a source for the euro style rock and roll beds please do post back here.

Here is one other link I found during my search that may help. Someone put a rock and roll seat in a sprinter:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3445

Good luck with your search and let us know what you end up doing.

Justin
Jboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #6

The one for sale here seems priced well - even if you had to get it recovered.
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16631[/url]

It doesn't have built in seat belts, but you may look into adding them into the van body instead. I know most driver side cabinets on the 50 layout interfere with mounting a 3 pt on that side, but I ended up going with a smaller cabinet to specifically get a larger rear seat, window for the driver side passenger, and a 3-pt belt mounted.

In the past I've also used the EZ On 86Y harness. I think that is a great go-to solution for smaller kids.

I think tlg's headrest retrofit is great and is on my list of future projects.