Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2018, 04:24 PM   #1

Ready to put down the flooring but a few questions

Hello everyone,

I am ready to put down the flooring in the van. I have an underlayment of 3 mil cork to theoretically seal out the potential for moisture. On top of that I have 3/4 inch Plywood already cut to size to fill in all the space and will top that with L Coin flooring which will be adhered to the plywood with pressure sensitive adhesive. I still have to take a router and rout 2 lines in the back from just before the entry to the back barn doors to just before the back of the 3rd row bench (as that is the only seat in there) I will be putting L track into those 2 back rows running from back to front, as well as a row of L track behind the driver seat to the 3rd row bench for anchoring the ARB Fridge. I am planning on allowing the anchor points of the L track and the bench seat to hold and lock that wood flooring in place. If need be I will sparingly use a couple of 1 inch self tapping screws counter sunk in with a very small pilot hole to anchor any plywood that may appear it still has the need to be anchored once its layed out and ready for the L Coin.

I always appreciate the feedback from this room, so here are my questions. (Take into account that the L track has flanges on the top to help hold down the wood and the 3/4 inch plywood is non negotiable as it is already purchased and cut).

What to do about the plastic piece (kick plate or step cover) that sits at the entry way of the passenger side barn doors and acts as a step and kick plate that now has a gap of space under it at the bottom due to the 3/4 inch raised floor? Should I dremmel off the bottom protrusions from that plastic piece and anchor it through the plywood and then add a new false bottom to that with more wood to keep it level. When I do that I think there is still a bit of a gap on the bottom of the step plastic where the bottom of the plastic cover for the entry step screws into the bottom of that step. Should I make a piece of plywood in there underneath and liquid nail that to the floor and then it will be raised up enough to meet the floor and allow for the top to overlap as it does currently once it is attached? OR is there another option I am not considering like routing out the space where the plastic part attaches to the floor with the Ford wall anchor like attachments to make it as much like it was originally? OR perhaps another kernel of knowledge from the interwebs of knowledge?

Any thoughts are welcome other than different thickness of plywood.

Darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:17 AM   #2

I initially brought up that side step piece after I put my floor in. I put 3/4 wood spacers under the outside edge as trim/support pieces and other support under the step. In the end I didn't like the way it looked nor did I like the additional step up height in an already tall van. I put the step back into its original location and the used aluminum stair tread edge to trim the flooring out.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:29 AM   #3

I'd leave it in place. I believe the original step is about 6" to the floor so the added height will actually bring it closer to the normal rise of a stair.

One thing I noticed in a junkyard a few days ago is that a lot of these steps in commercial vans seem to break. I'm planning to remove the top screws so it's easy to replace by sliding out in the event it ever breaks. I say planning to remove but in reality our converted van already didn't have any screws in the top part under the original floor.

Once you get a floor in with glued down flooring there is no good way to get it back up in the event you have to replace/fix something underneath.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:59 PM   #4

Here's my solution for the raised floor.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1748.JPG   IMG_1749.jpg   IMG_1751.JPG  
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:04 PM   #5

Nice Job! very clean
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline View Post
Here's my solution for the raised floor.
That's exactly what I needed to see. Thanks so much I'm on it.
Darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring