Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2017, 02:03 AM   #1

rear bumper

looking to add an outside storage box to van (i havent bought it yet!.. moving from hawaii...buying van in april...late 90's ford is what im looking for). i dont need to carry a tire on back. is there an easy simple design for this? I see folks using these 100 dollar bearings for hinges but is there a cheaper way thats just as effective? is it easier to create a two gate design meeting in middle or could i just do a single side (driverside) swing out box. ideally id like to be able to open a rear door from inside which is why im thinking just driver side. what would a simple latch look like? Im on a budget but want it for grill, shovel, poop, etc. I read coming off the oem hinges is not a good idea...too much weight. the general idea i see is large pipe structure with said bearing welded to bumper and a top pivot point off the top oem door hinge. there has got to be a simpler way (pintel hinge with grease on bottom?). are the stock bumpers usable for this? any thoughts or ideas (especially for hinges and latches) appreciated
e

Surfmore72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:28 AM   #2

If you can weld get an old Jeep locking hub and have at it.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:38 AM   #3

So if I go with the $125 spindle kit from atoz (or a Jeep hub) ... Do I need to build a secondary top pivot point? Like welding a 1.5" pipe up right next to bottom spindle and create a top hinge off of that? Or use the oem door hinge? Most force is on the spindle hinge at bottom but don't know how prolonged use affects things... I guess with the pipe I can put the swing arm pivot where I want it. I'm assuming that the stock bumper is no good for this... Correct?
Surfmore72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:31 PM   #4

I've seen it done several ways. You'd just have to search here and probably on Expedition Portal. I have yet to build one but most folks with a Ford (including Aluminess) have a full length pipe for top and bottom pivot and also bolt it to the top door hinge for support. Check out an Aluminess add on swingarm for ideas.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:25 PM   #5

My plan is to use the spindle hubs and custom fab up a steel mounting system. I am gonna try with just the spindle and do steel swing arms. I will support them pretty well opposite the spindle in the closed position the full depth of the bumper to help with flex.

We shall see. It would be nice to get away from supporting the pivot axis from bottom and top. Aluminess does it because they use lightweight aluminum that will simply break from the stress. I see jeep tire carriers that pivot on one side and latch on the other side of the body. Seeing this makes me think that a good steel setup would work.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:47 PM   #6

for other ideas, also check out Pirate 4x4

A cool 4 wheeler trick I recently learned about, likely the basis for using an automotive spindle and bearing assembly as the pivot for a home fabricated swing away is two-fold:

1) Incorporating a new or used front hub assembly (one that fits YOUR vehicle) allows you to scavenge desperately needed parts from your tire/box carrier, should you have an issue with the front hub while out on the trail. Having tools with you is great, but without spare parts, often you're hosed.

2) serious off roaders always have tons of spare parts laying around the house, using a removable 4x4 spindle and bearing assy is often no cost, and way overkill in terms of strength.