Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2020, 04:30 PM   #11

Another option.

For significantly less cost you can get an endoscopy or drain camera on Amazon that you can hook up to your phone via USB that does the trick nice with a display on your phone for those folks that may not need a lot, just a peek to see if the cargo is good etc...

Darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:48 PM   #12

My rig is an converted E350 shuttle, not an SMB, but same issue. I bought Tadibrothers camera and monitor which clips on to my non-functional rearview mirror, fabbed a simple camera mounting bracket and bolted it on to the Aluminess:

I decide not to connect to a brake light but instead to its own switchable circuit so I can use the camera rolling forward as well as when backing up.
GoneClimbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:04 AM   #13

I don't use my tow hitch often so what I did was to mount the wireless transponder in the under floor storage box. Then drilled thru for the camera wire and sealed with silicone, ran wire thru the hitch and mounted camera above the license plate. Gives me plenty of clearance under the box for a good view. I also didn't connect to brake lights but a separate toggle switch off the headlights. I like this because I can turn it on anytime, moving forward or just sitting w/o the engine running.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
20201221_105537.jpg   20201221_104155.jpg  
Dhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:12 AM   #14

Garage
https://www.rearviewsafety.com/shop

I went with this vendor.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:15 AM   #15

I went with a Garmin GPS, has undateable maps, voice control, finds anything around you or along your route (campgrounds, gas stations, rest areas, etc) and has a wireless remote camera and it was all for about $300. I'm glad I got it and was really easy to install....even for an electrical/technical moron like me 🙄
Old 12-23-2020, 10:19 AM   #16

Dhale,
I'm right with you, Have similar Garmin...wireless cam
Yes even this electrical geek had it working in minutes.
2003 E350 SMB 7.3 4X4 285,000 mi looking for more............
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:50 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhale View Post
I went with a Garmin GPS, has undateable maps, voice control, finds anything around you or along your route (campgrounds, gas stations, rest areas, etc) and has a wireless remote camera and it was all for about $300. I'm glad I got it and was really easy to install....even for an electrical/technical moron like me 🙄
Please post a link to the product you bought. Thanks, GH
Old 12-27-2020, 07:05 AM   #18

GH, this is the link to the Garmin website. Garmin.com

I don't think they have the exact model I bot 5 years ago but it's essentially the same as the GarminDrive series or GarminDriveSmart series. Just pick out the options that you want such as: screen size, traffic updates, if you want to link to your phone/Alexa, etc.
The backup camera is an add on, as is a dash camera or both.
One thing I really like is that it comes with lifetime map updates. Before a big trip I just hook it up to my lapttop and know I've got the latest maps and roads and other info.
The other thing I like is it can all be voiceless commands and I use it all the time. I'll just say "gas stations " and it gives me a list of gas stations along my route from closest on out. If I'm heading say from Massachusetts to FLA I'll just start the whole route and then an hour or two before I'm shot from driving I'll just ask for "hotels and campgrounds " and it will list them. That way I can decide if I want to stop at a campground/park in an hour or go longer and crash at a hotel. Same goes for things like, gas stations, rest areas, supermarkets etc. Can even ask specific like "McDonald's" and it will list the 300 million along your route (that way I can avoid them like the plague, or Covid, pick your metaphor)
I think I paid $350 for it in 2015 and dosen't seem the price has changed much. But with the lifetime updates it still feels brand new to me and that's not typical these days when it seems every piece of technology seems outdated after a year, so well worth the money. You can spend more or less depending on the options you need.
I definitely recommend it, although I got to admit I get nostalgic about my old National Geo.atlas and all the route planning I did on those months long trips
Old 12-29-2020, 10:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhale View Post
GH, this is the link to the Garmin website. Garmin.com

Dhale, I don't think your link posting worked.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:11 AM   #20

Garage
the link worked fine thanks.