Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2020, 03:08 PM   #1

Recent CCV Experience?

Just wanted to get an idea of what I should expect. I've been told I definitely want the CCV pop top over the SMB penthouse. I've left a voicemail message, filled out the CCV website contact form and sent an email. No response so far. Is there generally a long wait to hear back?

Also, how is the build quality these days? The CCV pop top reviews here and on expeditionportal run the gamut from "best ever" to "avoid like the plague".

tedujam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:36 PM   #2

Garage
Mine was installed last October. Couldn’t be happier. Build quality is excellent. They’re a small shop. Send a PM to 1der (Ray Barocca) on this forum. He works for them now and can help you out. I think he’s on a road trip at the moment, so give him time to respond.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Mine was installed last October. Couldn’t be happier. Build quality is excellent. They’re a small shop. Send a PM to 1der (Ray Barocca) on this forum. He works for them now and can help you out. I think he’s on a road trip at the moment, so give him time to respond.
Thanks Otter. I've followed your build thread and I'm doing a lot of the same stuff to my 2009 E350.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:36 PM   #4

I know for sure that they are absolutely swamped. I built a van with them last year as a rental and its been awesome. I have contacted them this summer to start another build and haven't been able to get a hold of them. All van builders are crazy busy right now. Some have waiting lists a year long, and they aren't even the big builders!
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:42 PM   #5

If I fall back on a Fiberine top install, is CCV still able to do a pop top on it sometime in the future? I don't want to do any traveling right now without a high roof and I'm not gonna wait a year.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:45 PM   #6

It won't be a year to get a top. You could get a top in probably 2 months at SMB, but I would get the CCV top.

I don't think you can do a fiberine then get any pop top. They cut off less material when doing a pop top than fiberine does. Once you go high top, tough to go back.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
It won't be a year to get a top. You could get a top in probably 2 months at SMB, but I would get the CCV top.

I don't think you can do a fiberine then get any pop top. They cut off less material when doing a pop top than fiberine does. Once you go high top, tough to go back.
Thanks. I live 20 minutes from Austin SMB, but I don't want their top and I'd still have to deal with a wait list anyway.

Hopefully I can get a reply from CCV soon. I've got a 5 week trip planned in November, and it's gonna be a CCV or Fiberine top.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:58 PM   #8

If you are just doing a top, CCV can knock that out in less than a week. Just have to get on their schedule. Keep trying them.

Austin SMB can typically get you in within 1-3 months if they are just doing a top. If they are doing a full build, then the wait is 18 months.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
If you are just doing a top, CCV can knock that out in less than a week. Just have to get on their schedule. Keep trying them.

Austin SMB can typically get you in within 1-3 months if they are just doing a top. If they are doing a full build, then the wait is 18 months.
Yeah, just not interested in an SMB top. I'll go with Fiberine if CCV isn't an option.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:34 PM   #10

I got the CCV high top installed in early October of last year. Although I haven't really used it enough yet to put much wear & tear on it, it seems very well built. They did a great job and I'm super happy with it. Excellent CS as well...

I'm also glad I went with their high top. Not only did I gain the extra head room I need, but I can keep all of my bedding, including winter stuff in place, which frees up a bunch of storage down below.

By far the biggest, but yet the best investment I've made in the van since I've owned it.