Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2015, 09:28 PM   #11

Re: Recommendations on our first build out

We too live in CO, with similar requirements. Except I tow our boat so a sprinter was out do due the towing capacity. So I found a one owner v10 out of California.
We both have daily drivers, so we did not require 4x4. As cool as it is, we just don't need it for our uses. Good tires go a long way.
We went with a CCV high profile top and although it's a bit of an ugly duckling, we love the inside storage up top. One of these days I'll get around to posting our build, we have second row captains on swivels for the kiddos and a center aisle layout. It works well for the 4 of us plus the dog.

I just installed a Propex heater since the insulated top leaves a little to be desired, and I refuse to sleep in my sleeping bag in the van.
A home built Van is like having another house, there is always something to do, but it has been an enjoyable process. That and it's cool to pull into camp and say "I did everything but the top"

Waterski02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:15 PM   #12
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

^^^believe me, the CCV insulated top is much better suited to keep the warmth in than the SMB top was, couldn't pop that in the winter and have any heat retention, yes, we also run our heater when it's cold out with the CCV top, there's no getting around the fact that it is still a pop top, but no sleeping bag! That's just crazy talk.......
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:53 PM   #13

Call me spoiled. I'm inside, I don't want to sleep in a bag. Down comforter, that's another story.

Propex heater crushed it up in the Flat Tops this weekend, Because it got cold Thursday night.
Waterski02 is offline   Reply With Quote