Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2019, 09:46 AM   #1

Removable bed for transformer

I'm interested in installing a removable bed setup in my extended 350. Has anyone tried or thought about one like this guy's bed on youtube (link below)? Any feedback from those who have considered or installed? I realize he isn't building it in a 350 but here are the advantages to this setup that I like:

-Comes apart in three sections making it easy to take out any section and stack creating more storage space.

-Lightweight

-No frame underneath creating more storage space or a spot for my kids to sleep.

here is the link:

Surfvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:38 AM   #2

User maxaccelleration Has a great transformer design.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...rior-5601.html

I plan to do a transformer layout with an RB50 cabinet design and some sort of removable bed setup. I’m thinking of something with L track and extruded aluminum but I haven’t had enough time to figure it all out. I’d copy maxaccelleration but I have a passenger setup and want to have the window clear while driving.

This is an interesting video with some good ideas.
JVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:38 AM   #3

There are a lot of people over on expeditionportal that have built out similar set ups. If you can weld and build it on your own, it would be pretty sweet.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:58 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback from you both and for the link to maxaccelleration's build. He has some rad ideas. I've seen some of these drawings of interior builds floating around.

Is there a place to grab a blank graph paper template of an EB?
Old 02-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #5

I made a removable bed platform using 80/20 aluminum
The top part is carpeted plywood done in 3 section for easy removal. The 80/20 is easy to work with and in 2 sections for easy removal. It anchors to one of the factory seat mount holes. (one on each side)only take me a couple of min to put in or take out. I made it that height so action packers fit under there.
jjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjuan View Post
I made a removable bed platform using 80/20 aluminum
The top part is carpeted plywood done in 3 section for easy removal. The 80/20 is easy to work with and in 2 sections for easy removal. It anchors to one of the factory seat mount holes. (one on each side)only take me a couple of min to put in or take out. I made it that height so action packers fit under there.
That looks pretty great and a lot easier than the video I posted. Would you mind sharing how expensive the material was?
Old 02-07-2019, 11:43 PM   #7

Slickest removable side to side bed platform I could come up with:
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 6.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	25694

3/4" ply verticals and platform. Verticals hinged to platform. We had a 4" foam mattress. 6 ft x 4 ft.

Two sections for the bed platform:
Rear most Section - 24" x full width
Forward section - 24" x full width

Leading edge of rear section had a 1/8" x 1" x 1" angle piece running nearly full width. This angle was screwed into the bottom edge of the section and covered the face of the 3/4" edge.(see pic below) In the edge face, holes were drilled through the angle and into the plywood to receive dowels from the adjoining piece. To make the dowels, I drilled and screwed in lag bolts in part way and then cut off the heads to leave only the protruding shanks. These "dowels" were located to match with the holes drilled in the angle/ply and this is what kept everything level and equally supported. (see pic below)

The verticals were 4 ft front to back and 18" tall. I cut openings to allow access to the storage spaces around the wheel wells. The verticals were attached to the rear most section with hinges. A 1-1/2" x 1-1/2 "nailer" piece was attached to the opposite side of the vertical where the hinges were attached. This served two functions - 1. Provided a very solid attachment for the hinge, and 2. provided a solid connection where I could screw down through the platform to make the verticals stay ridged and hold the two platform pieces together. (see lower pic below - this would be looking from the rear of the van)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4323.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	25695

The result was a clear 49" wide x 18" tall storage space under the bed w easy access to the wheel well areas for storage. (accessible from the back doors or in the cabin) I used eight high quality pretty thick screws to hold the platform to the 1-1/2" nailers. The hinged verticals would fold flat against the bottom of the rear most platform piece for storage standing up against a wall. I covered the platform in gray trunk liner material.

Installing and removing the required first holding the rear platform at an angle to get it through the rear doors. Once inside it would lay horizontally so I could pivot the legs down. Then the second platform piece could be placed on the now vertical legs and secured by the thick screws.

imho - there is no place for 2x4's to be used anywhere in an interior build. It is overkill and wastes lots of space.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:02 AM   #8

I lucked out and found a salvage company that had a bunch of extruded aluminum (80/20) for sale on Craigslist. They only charged me a $1 a foot. So with bolts, wood and carpet I think Im less the 200.
jjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:27 AM   #9

Surfvan...

I am planning to do something along the lines of the video you posted. After looking at setups for Transits/Sprinters from Adventure Wagon, I am thinking of building a removable platform bed utilizing L-track/rivnuts mounted along the interior walls just below the windows in my 03 EB. I plan to remove my stock interior trim to gain additional clearance and add insulation.
mothgils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothgils View Post
Surfvan...

I am planning to do something along the lines of the video you posted. After looking at setups for Transits/Sprinters from Adventure Wagon, I am thinking of building a removable platform bed utilizing L-track/rivnuts mounted along the interior walls just below the windows in my 03 EB. I plan to remove my stock interior trim to gain additional clearance and add insulation.
Mothgils- Do you have any plans on this or a specific plan you are going to follow? The video I posted seems like overkill and I like the simplicity of the 80/20 aluminum or Ray's setup (thanks for all the details in your reply Ray) and I'm curious to see what you got cookin up with the L-track.