Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
If I had to decide just based on what you described, I would be a definite no at that price.

Is this a Crow or Javier van? The description has a familiarity to it.

- Eric
Not sure what Crow or Javier is, but this van offered by an Oregon dealer. He hasn’t replied to my request for the ID of the shop that did the modifications.

Belize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belize View Post
She upped her asking price $15k once it was posted. I have 3 vans I am working on at the moment, but all will run $75k-$80k with the necessary upgrades (bullet proofing, bumpers, solar, etc.).
Bullet proofing is really only necessary on the 6.0's. The 7.3's can certainly be upgraded, but they aren't nearly as susceptible to catastrophic / expensive failures. Crow's 4wd conversions are well known for really crappy workmanship, again costing a lot of money to repair. Ujoint off road has lots of examples on his website.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:33 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Thanks, but really looking for a diesel.
Belize, just my 2 cents here... When I was looking at purchasing my van, I had a discussion (or two) with my trusted mechanic. He strongly "suggested" staying away from the 6.0 diesels and going with either the 7.3 diesel or the V10. In fact, he strongly recommended the V10s as great power plants that will perform and last a long time. Of course he pointed out that the V10s are cheeper to work on and would most likely have a price tag about 10k less than the 7.3s. Don't get me wrong though - I love my 7.3.

Best of luck in your quest!
Old 12-03-2019, 03:50 PM   #14

Garage
Well, I guess I will not be purchasing that van. This is the response I got from the dealer:

"all mods were just completed and listed a few days ago. These vehicles generally sell on a waiting list or within a few days of the completion of the build. All of these builds are done and listed for sale immediately upon completion. If you are interested in purchasing, we require 10% down. After purchasing we can send you all documentation of the work done and shops we work with including email, phone etc.

Best Regards
Joey C
Beaverton Auto Wholesale LLC - (503) 415-1550"

Are there people that will buy the van before doing due diligence?

Belize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:03 PM   #15

So for only 10% down, I can find out what shop did the work and ask them about it? Who do I make the check out to?!
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:51 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Well, I guess I will not be purchasing that van. This is the response I got from the dealer:

"... After purchasing we can send you all documentation of the work done and shops we work with including email, phone etc.
BIG RED FLAG, and I'm glad you aren't letting the emotion of getting a van overwhelm your common sense. The deposit doesn't even get you info, that only comes after the purchase. That''s crazy.

Looking at the seller's website, they do have a selection of 4x4 vans, but little info. Makes me think they're doing the conversions in-house, or have someone local doing the conversions to create their own niche market.

"******WE HAVE MULTIPLE 4X4 CONVERSIONS AT BEAVERTONAUTOWHOLESALE.COM******

Herb
Old 12-03-2019, 07:29 PM   #17

[QUOTE=Belize;264162] If you are interested in purchasing, we require 10% down. After purchasing we can send you all documentation of the work done and shops we work with including email, phone etc.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Seriously? Almost sounds like a scam.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:41 PM   #18

This is a new shop that's popped up here locally. They advertise on Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, etc... The shop doing the conversions is called AJ's Auto & Custom Fabrication.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4221765272407/

I don't know anything about these guys or their conversions. I've just seen the ads show up in my feed recently.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:37 PM   #19

Garage
I too would be real leary of anyone that didnt want to boast about their workmanship (especially a new outfit trying to make a name for themselves) - on principle I always avoid anyone that tells me "yeh, I think we can do that"...I only consider those that confidently proclaim "sure, we can do that"
***Have to say though, they have a very interesting Side Step (pictured in the link supplied by mgmetalworks) which looks like it has a fold out step fabricated into the structure for the barn doors - interesting concept, especially if it swings down a little lower creating a second step-up.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:53 PM   #20

^That side step is common in mobility and hotel vans (which this looks to be). The cool part is how he integrated it with the rails. Normally it just hangs down there in the way.