Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2019, 08:12 AM   #1

Garage
Request Advice from Experience with Dealers

I have been following the market and searching for a adventure van for about 4 months - without luck. I have gone back and forth with purchasing a fully built SMB vs a used/new van and do the work myself. Cost (<$65) and time (as close to now as possible) are both factors.

I recently ran across what looks like a good middle ground, a 2005 diesel (6.0) Ford RB cargo van with low miles (49,000) that has the 4x4 done along with bumpers, rack and ladder. I would need to put on the pop top, add solar and build the interior.

I am hesitant though cause it comes from a dealer, and the modifications claim to have been done in house. This is what they wrote:

“This van only has 48k miles on it so the engine is not in need of any type of work and has been fully inspected by a 3rd part mechanic and is in fantastic condition. The 6.0’s that end up needing work usually have triple or more miles.

The roof rack, ladder and front and rear bumpers are all custom hand welded locally at our fabricator down the street from us specifically for this build and are of the highest quality. The 4wd conversion is also done by our fabricator who is a top notch 4wd expert. The vehicle doesn’t have a tow pkg so I assume it has never hauled anything before but I cannot guarantee. This van is a one-owner vehicle and has been west coast owned with no rust. The over all condition is extremely clean. Here is our modification list

- Custom side steps
- Custom front and rear bumpers with tire rack
- New BFG 35inch Tires
- New Vision Wheels
- Full 4x4 conversion
- Front Dana 60 differential w/ 3.73 ratio
- Front Coil spring w/ 5in lift
- New front Fox 2.0 shocks
- New rear Fox 2.0 shocks
- New front Fox 2.0 dual stabilizer
- New Front brake pads, rotors and calipers
- new rear wheel spacers
- new custom LED light bars and switches
- custom front and rear driveline
- new rear 5in block with U bolts “

I have asked for references of who did the work and also lined up a independent mechanic to take a look at the vehicle. Carfax report looks good. Apparently it was a US Government vehicle in Arizona that was picked up at auction.

I am wary of the wheel spacers and the custom drive train, not to mention the quality of the 4x4 conversion, bumpers, rack and ladders all done in house. Also, it could be that they picked the van up at a government auction cheap, threw on a bunch of stuff that makes it look good so they could up the price, but I am worried about the quality. Hard to tell from the photos.

The dealer is asking $40k. I would need to put another $20k into assuming all is good.

Any thoughts on buying from a dealer like this?

Thanks!

Belize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:23 AM   #2

Garage
Would be nice to chat with the shop that did the 4x4. And a minimum 1 year warranty on the drive train from the dealer.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:44 AM   #3

If I had to decide just based on what you described, I would be a definite no at that price.

Is this a Crow or Javier van? The description has a familiarity to it.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:30 AM   #4

$40k is way too much for a cargo van with a no name 4x4 conversion.

Also, the 6.0 issues do not happen at a certain mileage. It can happen at any point and you should factor in a pretty sizable budget to properly bulletproof it.

If you're willing to buy a 4x4 cargo van for $40k, I would recommend checking the following out. Both have reputable 4x4 conversions and you would be money and time ahead by starting with either of these (assuming either are still available).

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...v10-24338.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...per-25147.html
Old 12-03-2019, 10:50 AM   #5

I just saw a newer Quigley V10 with decent miles in NJ on either CL, EBay or Facebook Marketplace for $35k. If I find it I’ll post the link.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:55 AM   #6

There are several of these for sale right now with full build outs on the sportsmobile.com website. Look under pre-owned. Most are diesels and under $65k. I just checked.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #7

Sadly, a 6.0 is guaranteed to have very expensive problems at some point unless you invest large sums of money up front. Either way, they are very expensive to keep running.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:36 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
There are several of these for sale right now with full build outs on the sportsmobile.com website. Look under pre-owned. Most are diesels and under $65k. I just checked.
I have been following that page (Sportsmobile pre-owned page) for months. Lynn is super nice and helpful. There is only one now with my specs (Ford, diesel, RB) and it is not bullet proofed or has other mods missing such as bumpers, solar, etc. I was negotiating with her before she posted on SMB site. She upped her asking price $15k once it was posted. I have 3 vans I am working on at the moment, but all will run $75k-$80k with the necessary upgrades (bullet proofing, bumpers, solar, etc.). Not complaining, just asking the more experienced for advice. Thanks for the comments.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:37 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
I just saw a newer Quigley V10 with decent miles in NJ on either CL, EBay or Facebook Marketplace for $35k. If I find it I’ll post the link.
Thanks, but really looking for diesel.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:37 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
$40k is way too much for a cargo van with a no name 4x4 conversion.

Also, the 6.0 issues do not happen at a certain mileage. It can happen at any point and you should factor in a pretty sizable budget to properly bulletproof it.

If you're willing to buy a 4x4 cargo van for $40k, I would recommend checking the following out. Both have reputable 4x4 conversions and you would be money and time ahead by starting with either of these (assuming either are still available).

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...v10-24338.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...per-25147.html
Thanks, but really looking for a diesel.