Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #11

Re: Review of my RV design specifications and drawings?

Hi Dave;

I had a few minutes to do a preliminary review of your specs and dwgs.

Very well done.

You've put a lot of time into this and it will take some time to review it. My only question is how fussy do you want us to be?

Regards,

Gavin

Old 10-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr
Hi Dave;

I had a few minutes to do a preliminary review of your specs and dwgs.

Very well done.

You've put a lot of time into this and it will take some time to review it. My only question is how fussy do you want us to be?

Regards,

Gavin
Thank you for the kind words! It means a lot. Yes, I have spent a lot of time with this. Actually, I think it's been 4 years since I've started thinking about this project....

You can be as fussy as you wish. I'll gladly accept constructive and destructive criticism. Like I said, this is my first RV design, so I'm sure there are mistakes listed or drawn, or components that might not make the best sense, or a method that will work better than I'm planning. This design is only 80%, so obviously nothing is finalized or set in stone.

That's what this review is for: CHANGES & IMPROVEMENT!

Thanks!

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #13

Garage

I have looked over the design package, but before I start making comments it would be helpful if DiD could tell us how the van will be used. It seems there are as many different uses for these vans as there are owners.
- How many campers and their age/gender
- Pets?
- How many extra passengers
- Long trips, short trips, daily driver
- Camping - boondocking, stealth, RV park with hookups
- Towing/hauling/rear hitch carrier?
- Winter camping?

How much of an issue is cost vs. reliabiltiy/quality? There is a big range, from buying a 20 year old chassis and putting in very basic interior, to getting a new chassis and gold-plating everything.

Along with cost, will it be sold in the future or be kept until it dies?
Old 10-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #14

Good points. I should have indicated my intentions in my specifications I guess. I'll elaborate further based on the questions asked:

- How many campers and their age/gender? Just me and my wife. By the time I'll actually be able to afford to build this thing we'll be in our mid 40's.

- Pets? None.

- How many extra passengers? None. Just me and the wife!

- Long trips, short trips, daily driver? Yes, yes, and partially yes. I want this RV to be able to handle trips out to Oregon, and short weekend trips to the beach, and everything in between. I'm NOT planning on needing 4x4 for rock climbing, Baja, etc although I might want to give the van a few inch lift for clearance.

- Camping: boondocking, stealth, RV park with hookups? Yes, hopefully, and occasionally. Stealth may or may not be possible too much considering I'm putting a fixed top on it. But I'd like to maybe put my business graphics on it so it might look a little commercial, too. Not sure about that yet though.... I'm planning on all DC power first along with solar panels, but plan on adding 110v shore power capability at a later date. That way, we can plug in if not driving (alternator) and charge the batteries, and use a space heater if during cold winter days.

- Towing/hauling/rear hitch carrier? Towing a small pop-up type of RV in the future (not right away). Possibly a front hitch bike carrier.

- Winter camping? Yes. I've been looking into hydronic heating options. Sub-zero sleeping bag and plenty of blankets will be utilized to conserve heat (propane). Winter camping will not be regular all season though, just occasional.

- How much of an issue is cost vs. reliabiltiy/quality? Finances are not the best since I'm paying child support on 3 kids, my bills, car insurance, etc so I'm hoping to get a used van (mid-2000's or newer) and putting in a relatively nice interior myself. No gold plating. Comparison shopping will be done to find the best balance between cost, durability, and quality. I won't be getting top-of-the-line stuff nor will this RV be a POS.

- Along with cost, will it be sold in the future or be kept until it dies? Kept until it dies, unless someone offers me more $ than I put into it!

The intentions of the RV are as follows:

1) a means for my wife and I to travel more and take vacations together
2) a "base camp" for myself (and wife sometimes) for trail running and mountain biking
3) a mobile office for my side CADD business
4) a temporary emergency shelter if ever needed.

hope these answers help you with your reviews.

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
Old 10-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #15

PMd you my number call me if you don't mind going over it verbally.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #16

It was a pleasure talking with you, jage! Thank you for going over my RV design package with me over the phone! It was definitely informative and helpful. I appreciate it!

Old 10-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #17

I know there are a few of you out there still (hopefully) looking over my design package I sent to you....

Did you have any questions or need any clarifications?

After talking with jage, I'm reconsidering the couch/bed design a little bit, as well as the gray water tank, and counter top height....

Old 10-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #18

Sorry Dave - I've had three kinds of sh*t hit the fan and it is a long document. It may be awhile but I will look at it when things settle down.
dtlockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:29 AM   #19

It's OK, there's no rush. No apologies needed.

I just wanted to let people know that I'm already reconsidering some things that were pointed out already.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #20

I wish to thank those of you who have sent me comments and suggestions on my design ideas so far. You have me re-thinking some things. Which is good, since I wanted your input on everything and anything related to my DIY project.

For those of you who are still looking over my drawings and specs, this is just a reminder that I want your opinions, too. No hurry though. This is just a friendly reminder. I'm looking forward to hearing more ideas and changes and suggestions!