Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2019, 08:22 AM   #1

Road trip building a van for SEMA 2019

Day -1 of SEMA 2019 Build a Ford Transit 4x4 Poptop Van Roadtrip

Update time for everyone, we ARE in Kansas anymore Toto! Or Claycomo to be more precise. But amidst the soybean fields, I found where Ford grows Transit vans! And some of them grow pretty tall.

And I admit I geeked out a bit at the serious architecture of the Ford Assembly Plant, very solid.

Now you know I am embarking on a serious Overland Trip when I drive through Overland Park and even see Overland Photo supply since it is really all about the ‘gram after all.

Back home Dave the Fabricator (really of Rock Solid Products) is working hard on the double tube rack to handle the torsional load of the massive 23Zero awning, 270 degrees and 280 square foot of coverage are not to be messed with, plus something has to support the Lightforce Nightfall LED’s

Meanwhile, I am testing a new leg while trying not to abuse the temp socket too much.

Also just before I left I wanted to put in a new Treehouse to Tacoma gasket and make sure everything is right on this setup before I put it up for sale. So if you know anyone who needs a killer ready to roll ride this is the one.

Lastly, for today, there is still some parts selection going on. Quadvan just sent me these pictures of their Intercooler skid, Transfer Case skid, and Gas Tank skid. Yeah, I ordered them all. I had already ordered the VanCompass intercooler skid and rear diff skid but it is nice to have everything come from one place so I think I will switch out to the Quadvan products since they are doing the 4wd conversion.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:35 AM   #2

Quick Details and I will try for full disclousure....

2019 Ford Transit 130wb regular body, low roof....I am paying $33K from Matt Ford, great dealer 20mi from the Transit factory.

Sportsmobile poptop $10k est paying retail

Quadvan 4wd conversion $15k est paying retail

Aluminess front bumper $3k paid retail

Method 701 50% off

Eaton F & R trutrac paying retail

Lightforce lights full sponsorship

Victron solar & lithium battery (I bought the residential panel but Victron full sponsorship on most of the rest, except Blue Sea and misc bits)

Mile Marker winch full sponsorship

Extreme Outback on board air, wholesale pricing

MaxxTrax 4 of them in red, 20% discount

Rollercam straps full sponsorship

ARB X-jack, paid retail

L-track, paid retail

Scheel-man amazing seats, got a deal on demo seats $1500

I will add more to this list, but I am currently running around Kansas City trying to arrange the van delivery, yeah it actually gets built TOMORROW.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:22 PM   #3

Did you model your Avitar after the Isle on Man flag? Ever been there, the races are great fun.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:27 PM   #4

Yep my younger son created that logo since we are a moto family and I have a prosthetic leg
We watch the races and have a family goal to visit the Isle of Man in the next couple of years...
Good eye!
Old 10-04-2019, 05:47 AM   #5

Day 0 of SEMA 2019 Build a Ford Transit 4×4 Poptop Van Roadtrip

Today is the Day a Van gets built…..I think, I hope, I have not been able to make sure, but I trust the power of positive thinking, and a little 1 leg luck.

Yesterday I spent a bunch of time with the great folks at Matt Ford, from the parts guys that helped me figure out where some boost/pressure sensors where (cool news coming on that) to the finance fellow Fred who helped me pay for a van that doesn’t actually exist yet.

I also got to test drive a high top, 148 Ecoboost for a buddy. I had been telling folks how easy it was to deal with Ed and the folks at Matt Ford and there are actually people who want high roof vans. After seeing how much room is inside those things I can understand why. Now I can say I am really an influencer since a deposit was made and a trip arranged for another VanLifer to join the fray.

Another cool thing about Ed the mighty salesman is how tight he is with the Transit powers at Ford. From big things like the new CrewVan model to small things like a factory floor mat. And never scoff at a well-designed product like this floormat, after all the times Martin our engineer has complained about a poor design I get that the little things matter. The 2 part design keeps you from spilling the dirt and rocks out when you want to dump that mess. Not bad price at $95 (I paid for it quick, they only had 1 left).

Of course, I had to end the day with some Kansas City BBQ, and I knew my belly led me in the right direction when I saw a Transit parked in front of Slaps. They were out of ribs by 6 pm but everyone knows a quality joint should run out of meat each evening. Never trust a place that has plenty of long smoked meat around.

Old 10-09-2019, 02:59 PM   #6

Sometimes trying to be too cool can come back to haunt you....
Before you make like you are "someone", figure out if you are better off being "no one"...
https://youtu.be/eV3QL7xNR7w
Old 10-14-2019, 05:13 AM   #7

🤷🏽*♂️
I don’t understand what’s supposed to be happening here.
TheWeezersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #8
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeezersDad View Post
����*♂️
I don’t understand what’s supposed to be happening here.
That makes two of us.

That link was quite the departure from the great beginning of this thread---sad to see it veer off this way.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:29 AM   #9

Lets get this back on track, Disabled Exploreres enthusiasm for his project is contagious.

I also have a Ford Transit CamperVan with Sportsmobile electric roof.
Hate parting with it but Ive hit financial strain and it is for sale. Ive had 4 campervans and this is the best and ultimate for me.
You can see it here - www.robinnewman.com
robinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinen View Post
Lets get this back on track, Disabled Exploreres enthusiasm for his project is contagious.
You wan to get this back on track by hijacking the OP's thread for your own for sale post?