Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2018, 08:11 AM   #1

Roof rack on fiberglass hi top

So I’ve built a cargo rack that goes in hitch receiver . Turned out good. Weight tested with myself and other people jumping on it seems like it’s road worthy... needs a can of Bedliner paint sometime soon and also dot tape reflectives and more than likely one of those bolt on hitch stabilization brackets.
The next project is a roof rack.
Bolting through the hi top fiberglass and going to have a steel bracket then some padding or liquid nail, maybe some kind of gasket material. Then the fiberglass shell . Backed with an aluminum plate or wood.
Basically the brackets for the roof rack. Gasket material. Fiberglass hi top . Gasket material . Back plate. Then on top of that I’ll be using 2 lock washers , 2 washers , 2 rubber washers and a lock nut for each through bolt. I haven’t drilled a hole through the shell yet and am kind of hesitant to do so ... don’t want cracking or anything else to happen over time or something more serious like a solar panel flying off at hwy speeds ...
so any suggestions as to through bolting fiberglass .... would be appreciated . Thinking 2 bolts through side and one bolt holding down the brackets . On each bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
2C6F743A-8D67-4711-8E6A-1DD91D9EE291.jpg   594DDF32-6D3A-4D77-B392-1205AE75FC21.jpg   5B0AE4AF-E790-48F0-AC18-3E7EC93C3740.jpg  

AmboRambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:22 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmboRambo View Post
So I’ve built a cargo rack that goes in hitch receiver . Turned out good. Weight tested with myself and other people jumping on it seems like it’s road worthy... needs a can of Bedliner paint sometime soon and also dot tape reflectives and more than likely one of those bolt on hitch stabilization brackets...
Nice, but check with your state to see if it requires stop signal and turn signal lighting. Depending on how far it sticks out from the rear bumper, your state may require lighting.

Herb
Old 04-04-2018, 10:38 AM   #3

Yeah not sure if the requirements 2 foot or so but I’m just near that mark. I have lights in case .. when I connect them though I also get a warning brake light on my dashboard. Don’t think it’s a big deal though. Any thoughts on through bolting ?
AmboRambo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hi top, roof rack, solar