Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2015, 09:21 AM   #11

Re: SB raised roof on a EB van

Excellent Photoshop job! One issue in real life is the corrugations/channels in the roof; they would need to be sealed. Probably not a deal-breaker, but an engineering challenge.

The other challenge is the overall tapering of the roof width from front to rear between and RB and EB body. From the very front of the roof back, it gets a little wider then narrower as you get to the very rear of the roof.

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS
On the other hand if the short top was set to the back, you could have a front roof rack that was easily accessible from inside the van. Just unzip the front window and you could load and unload easily.
Basically like the old VW Westfalia setup, with the cargo area over the cab.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #13

Although the OP is considering a fixed high top I think, so no zippered panel.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:41 AM   #14

Thanks for all the replies - Jack thanks for the photoshopped pic. I too thought of the rack on the back of the van.

Yes its a fixed top roof off a conversion van. Not as tall as I would like, but we will see.
NTOLERANSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:06 PM   #15

Old thread, but I finally stumbled upon the image I had seen where someone did this in real life. They mated a regular length (RB) hightop on an extended length (EB) van, and then added a little luggage rack on the back.

Attached Thumbnails
eb rb.jpg  
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:41 PM   #16

Garage

great option for us dumpster divers. ive seen a top very similar to that around here a few times at the local pick and pulls. no one has ever grabbed any of them that im aware. ive got a few buddies on the fence about building a van. options like this will make it easier for me to push them over the edge. thanks for posting rally!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:51 AM   #17

I keep looking for one of the non-emergency transport vans that are running all over the place around here. Only issue is that most of them have the extended rear or side doors. Tall rear doors don't bother me, but I don't like the look of the taller side doors. I was not sure how the taller rear door and top swap would work out. Welding, support, etc??

I found a EB with tall rear doors and blown V10 for $600 but the top was the lower conversion van height. I'm not sure if one that low is worth the effort. I want to be able to stand up inside and I'm 6'. I would also consider myself a "dumpster diver" or thrifty depending on how you put it. Plan to go to the local pull a part this weekend as it is 1/2 price weekend because of the holiday. Hoping to get some seats for $50 or so a pair.
89srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #18

"rallypanam" Old thread, but I finally stumbled upon the image I had seen where someone did this in real life. They mated a regular length (RB) hightop on an extended length (EB) van, and then added a little luggage rack on the back.

More info and photos on this particular van here:...http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... obile-like
Attached Thumbnails
PA150005.jpg