Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2016, 03:45 PM   #1

Garage
Secure Storage Ideas Needed

So, I just added a little XP-10 jumpstarter to my carry-along gear box. And it got me thinking how much stuff I'm hauling around that someone would love to steal. You know, some extraction supplies for getting myself out of trouble, a few tools, that kind of thing. Having had someone pop the keyhole lock in a former vehicle while I was in the store for less than five minutes, maybe I'm extra sensitive to the possibility. So, I have a good alarm on the van but keep wondering what I should consider in designing the rest of my build.

There will be some storage in the side boxes serving as a bed platform in the rear. Maybe some of it should be heavy-duty locked? I keep coming back to thoughts of mounting the spare on the back and putting a custom locked box under the floor. I'd rather keep that back door unencumbered because I use it a lot (the van is my daily driver, too), but I'm willing to change it up if it seems like the best idea. Then there's the balance of easy-enough access... when I need something quick, I don't want to have to dismantle things to get it.

The scenario that concerns me the most is leaving the van at a hiking or snowshoe trailhead. So I've thought of putting in as large a locking box underneath as possible for those times. Do the folks that have one feel it was worth it? Any problems?

I'd really appreciate hearing how all of you have addressed this issue, whether it's to ignore it, do something elaborate, or anything in between. As always, thanks and PICTURES WELCOME.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:16 PM   #2

The Aluminess tire carrier isn't a hassle to open at all. It's just one button and it swings open. I would think having the storage under the van would be your best bet since it won't be super obvious to most people.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:27 PM   #3

Otter, Northleftcoast makes those under floor boxes and sells them here in the hobby vendor section of the forum. He's based here in Oregon too so certainly worth contacting if you're considering one.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:12 PM   #4

Under Floor Storage is right up there on the list of most awesome adds.

Here is what I did w/ some fine help from boywonder

Started with Ronco 55 gal Polypro Holding/Water Tank (3/8" wall) modified with channel for floor cross member and reliefs for the frame cross member aft of the differential. Fits the spare tire dims really well and sits just above the bottom of the hitch side skid rails. About 35" wide by 28" fore/aft by 14.5" deep.

I will be getting another one or two of these made up if anyone is interested, but if you are in Portland near northleftcoast, he makes some mighty fine stuff out of aluminum!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6082.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	14306

Access hole cut out in the van floor, trimmed with aluminum angle.

Name:	IMG_6084.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	14307

Plywood hatch covered with the van carpet. Could very easily add two locking latches to the cover for security.

Name:	IMG_6090.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	14308

Shot from underneath showing storage box and one of the two 5 gal holding tanks mounted outboard of the frame

Name:	Storage Box_1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	14309
Old 12-19-2016, 06:19 PM   #5

Chris at UJOINT also makes an under the floor box. Not sure if it locks or not.

I consider myself a half-assed perfectionist
Stillvanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:25 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Under Floor Storage is right up there on the list of most awesome adds.

Here is what I did w/ some fine help from boywonder

Shot from underneath showing storage box and one of the two 5 gal holding tanks mounted outboard of the frame
Attachment 14309
1der, that is a fine looking storage box, especially your finish on the interior. But I can only see a holding tank with a hose underneath. Just my eyes, or?
Old 12-19-2016, 06:44 PM   #7

Garage
@mikracer: Glad to hear bout the ease of the spare tire carrier. I'm getting closer and closer to that, I think.

@WhitH: it's great that NLC is close by. Think I'll pay him a visit.

@Stillvannin: thanks for the UJoint lead. I forgot about that one.

My guess is I'll likely go with one of those boxes and maybe think about adding interior ones, too.

Anybody doing locking storage in a rear-accessible interior, like side boxes?

Have thought of adapting something in a setup like this (from expoportal), but a shorter length:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2773.jpg   IMG_2774.jpg  
Old 12-19-2016, 07:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
1der, that is a fine looking storage box, especially your finish on the interior. But I can only see a holding tank with a hose underneath. Just my eyes, or?
Otter - enlarge the pic, the storage box is darker gray than the holding tank, hangs lower than the holding tank, and is on the other side of the trailer hitch.
The black wire runs between the two.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:19 PM   #9

Ujointoffroad
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:10 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Otter - enlarge the pic, the storage box is darker gray than the holding tank, hangs lower than the holding tank, and is on the other side of the trailer hitch.
The black wire runs between the two.
Duh! Hiding in plain sight! LOL, I was looking for something whiter and not so big! Too used to looking at the gigantic white water tank on my trailer!

If you happen to have any pics showing the attachment details, I would appreciate having a look.