Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2011, 05:12 AM   #1
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Seen These?

Found this converted van on FleaBay---anyone have any info who converted it? Would make a nice camper or work van, currently outfitted as a package delivery truck similar to a UPS step van or Sprinter.

This is an '08 E350 chassis with V10 power---nice combo IMHO!

Any clues?

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: Seen These?

No info, but it does look interesting.

Its not a cutaway chassis, but it looks like the new top is grafted onto the Ford body at the midpoint of the body. Is the top is fiberglass?

Herb
Old 09-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Herb you're entirely correct, definitely not a cut away chassis. Here's another image, looking through the side doors:

The top is fiberglass, seems to have a steel superstructure firmly tying the floor and side walls to the top. Interior of doors are covered in trim panels so can't see how they were extended.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

Pretty neat. I wonder how it would survive the wracking stress of off-road?
Bill
Old 09-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #5

I wonder it those steel side support actually support the body at all. Looks like maybe they are really just for the shelf units.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #6

I did see it a while back but their site seems down

Here are articles:
http://www.businessfleet.com/Article/Pr ... ofile.aspx
http://www.worktruckonline.com/Channel/ ... rstitial=1

Their website, I could't access it...
www.visionmanufacturingltd.com
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #7

Interesting. The doors could be wonky and you could have other issues, but for a unique platform it might not be bad.

Windows might be an issue too- you're not cutting Ford body, you're cutting fiberglass top (or so it would appear)

Tough to tell what you're getting as the under-van (work vans history might be rough). Did they do these new?

Did they maybe move on to design for Nissan?
Old 09-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
Site Team

I like the name.

Quote:
The HCV, aka the “Armadillo,” is designed to fit the Chevrolet Express, GMC Savana and Ford Econoline van chassis. The walk-thru van provides more than six feet of headroom and plenty of cargo capacity while being fuel efficient for its size.
Quote:
In terms of design, consumers will not be able to tell where the chassis meets the upfit, Connors says. The design incorporates a complete van chassis instead of a cutaway. The vehicle is cut below the beltline to enable integration of the upper and lower portions of the vehicle with a seamless finish. "It improves aerodynamic appeal," Connors says.

The HCV van was designed by Applied Technologies, an automotive engineering firm that specializes in chassis and drivetrain design for the Big Three U.S. OEMs.

The upfit is designed to incorporate factory door hardware and electronics to cut down on servicing issues. Metal support systems were integrated into the top to reinforce the vehicle’s structural integrity.

"Safety is carried through the entire design from the ground up," says Craig Winn, president of Applied Technologies. "Because the design uses the full body of the van, not just the chassis, the new top and doors incorporate the structural rigidity engineered into the original van body."

The van has met the government recertification requirement for roof crush, Winn says.

The cost to add the Armadillo body to a Ford or GM ¾- or 1-ton van is $9,995 for regular-length vans and $10,995 for extended models. Shipping is extra
This isn't a good sign. Not only is the company website down but if I'm reading this correctly (NOT A LAWYER) this court ruling shows they had a default judgement against them because they didn't bother to show up in court.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVvan
This isn't a good sign. Not only is the company website down but if I'm reading this correctly (NOT A LAWYER) this court ruling shows they had a default judgement against them because they didn't bother to show up in court.
Legal woes doesn't mean it's a bad vehicle though- I mean look at Earthr**mer...

Unless they were sued for the two pieces falling apart that is.