Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #1

Shower enclosure redesign

We need to redesign our shower curtain enclosure. Would appreciate tips on materials, design, and a good local seamstress. (No sewing machine in our van house.) Prefer to choose materials that we can get in local stores. We're in Salt Lake right now.

While this is admittedly a small project, we're really looking forward to the end of sponge baths!

The problem: The current enclosure is a curtain attached to a track on the ceiling. The curtain only covers 3 of 4 walls, with the rear wall open. Unless we want a lake in the van, this makes the shower unusable. We'd also like a curtain that prevents leaks, as curtains tend to leak where they come together and at the shower pan.

The possible solution: A "shower tube" with magnetic attachment to ceiling and shower pan.

Design: Attach a thin sheet of steel to ceiling. Sew a tube out of a lightweight waterproof material. (Maybe the kind of nylon that used to make a tent rain fly?) Sew loops on top of tube, and attach rare earth magnets to loops. Tube curtain could then attach to ceiling via magnets. Sew loops inside tube to hold a couple of metal rings. (Suggestions welcome re a hardware store product that would work for the metal rings.) Rings would hold the tube open while showering. When curtain not in use, the whole thing could collapse into the shower pan. To use, would step into the ring, pull up, and attach to ceiling. Want metal rings to be detachable so that we can wash the whole thing. I doubt that the tube will dry very well, so mold could become an issue. A mold-resistant fabric would be great, if available.

Thanks for advising.

-- The Yeti

Advanturetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #2

Re: Shower enclosure redesign

We made ours tapered. Larger diameter at the top and smaller diameter at the bottom. For us that assured elbow room and that the curtain stays in the pan.

We used a zipper to make the curtain into a tube. Used the kind hardware stores sell with adhesive to mount to drop clothes to close of rooms when doing heavy construction.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #3

Thanks Len. Great ideas! Love the taper.

Could you clarify the end of this sentence? "Used the kind hardware stores sell with adhesive to mount to drop clothes to close of rooms when doing heavy construction."

Re the zipper, any trouble with rust?

What kind of fabric did you use, and was it readily available at a fabric store?
Advanturetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #4

I've seen adhesive zippers for making a door in a plastic tarp- like you make your carport with tarps and then stick two zippers on, cut behind the zipper with a razor blade and you've got a roll up door.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #5

Jage has it right. The zipper itself is made out of nylon...no rust. There is about 1.5" - 2" of blue backed tape on either side of the zipper that peal off and you attach the zipper to the plastic tarp. The zipper can be cut to length as required.

The Green TARDIS
Old 04-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS
Jage has it right.
Yeah, but I never thought of using it for a shower enclosure. Taper like he said and combine it with this and you could add a small drain hose and not wind up with the puddle at the back doors either.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #7

Here is one I found on internet. $10. Got mine at ACE for about same $.

The Green TARDIS
Old 04-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #8

My idea.
While primitive, I think it might work. I haven't made it yet...

A hoola hoop suspended from above, a standard shower curtain cut to size, a bunch of curtain rings, a bunch of 1/2 inch magnets and a bunch of gorilla glue.
If you glue the magnets to the edge of the curtain it might leak, but if you have a 3 inch over lap then there shouldn't be any leaks. Just be sure to fold the curtain material over the magnets so they don't get wet and glue the entire fold shut.

I hope my crazy idea helps... or at least gives you a laugh.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote