Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlangst View Post
Is a cruiser top the big camper top that extends over the front some? Like 30” in height?
Yes, the cruiser top is 30" and extends over the cab. Not for everyone, but many advantages if you want a maneuverable van with maximum space. Also easier to heat and cool and always ready to camp in. I own a penthouse top too which has it's advantages but I enjoy the high top more unless bushwhacking or trying to stuff it in a shipping container.

MauiSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 01:55 PM   #12

Are you psychic?? You about nailed my kids ages. 4,6,9,11,13. I do like your idea and layout.
mtlangst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:35 PM   #13

Another consideration is seat belts. My dinette seating in the rear has 6 six sets of seat belts and with the two captain chairs up front would allow me to legally seat 8.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:01 AM   #14

To me, the only way to be able to do this is to get a sprinter or mid height transit, put a pop top on it to sleep 2 (or 3 if you go with CCV), then build an upper and lower bunk in the rear of the van.

If you want to stick with an E series van, I think you would need to just use the van as the transport vehicle and get an offroad capable tent trailer like the Fleetwood E1 or E2 or even the Fleetwood Neon which has the wheels outside of the box so you can swap axles and lift it with much larger tires.
Old 11-29-2021, 04:27 PM   #15

Well i do have a 2010 rockwood popup trailer which i like. Seven of us and a dog gets nice and tight. Maybe i need to beef it up a little and just put a platform bed in the back of an EB van to provide more sleeping and then we could explore in the van like you said. And when the kids ship off build it out for two person camping.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:04 PM   #16

The extended penthouse top might offer possibilities for sleeping more kids if you had more bed panels with a gap between for access...essentially two beds up there...not sure but worth exploring. The ultimate would be a high top Sprinter, Promaster, or Transit with a pop top "loft" but not sure Sportsmobile would install a pop top on a high top van. Obviously a trailer would help a lot if you want to tow.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:05 PM   #17
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Hmmmm, maybe sell two kids and that could solve the problem and bankroll the project? (lol) I'd say the Forum is giving you much to think about! Can't wait to see what you come up with...would the/an Ambulance conversion solve issues?
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:15 PM   #18

Ambo would be cool, but seating would be an issue i am sure. I already have a Nissan NV3500 so the cheapest route would be to put some AT tires on it and get some maxxtracks and call it good, but that is no fun.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:30 PM   #19

Convert that NV to 4x4 and you have a start.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:32 PM   #20
Site Team

Pistachio, pecan, or cashews. Your choice.

Seriously though, as others have alluded to and mentioned, seating is critical. Personally, I would not have anything other than forward facing seating for anyone in my rig. Too much risk for me to take in the event of an accident.

Good luck in your quest though.

Herb