Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2020, 12:27 PM   #1

Slidng closet doors

I am working on a new interior layout and like the idea of the sliding doors in the rear closet next to the bed in a 50 style layout.

But I wonder how bad these rattle and what materials would be best to mitigate most noise.

And also what type of latching mechanism?

Do you folks have some ideas to throw my way?

I have seen the plastic tracks you can buy, as well as simple tracks cut in the wood closet.

BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:00 PM   #2

I've done both. I did 1/4" birch sliding doors on the Transit to the left. I may have some pics somewhere if it's helpful but basically you can get the tracks or just route a groove in your cabinets for them. Getting them just the right size to drop in to place and not fall out is the only voodoo to getting them right.

I did not latch mine. They stayed closed just fine. I didn't add handles either because they would interfere with sliding over each other. I just cut 2" holes for handles. Looked pretty good, worked great.

For latches Southco has everything in the world.

Use adhesive backed felt tape for noise and slide assist. I got a big roll on Amazon not too long ago.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:47 PM   #3

Those RB50 sliding doors. Seems every damn time my wife opens the front one, it jumps the track. I keep telling her NOT to pull up on the handle when she slides it open but noooo, she keeps doing it and I keep getting a screwdriver to lift it back into the track. Rant over.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:12 PM   #4

I'm terrible at saving, writing down, or bookmarking links to stuff that I want to save. I keep telling myself "I'll remember where I saw it" or "I'll be able to find it again".

So, I did see where someone used spray adhesive and thin felt to line the inside if the track to help eliminate rattle. What was cool is the way he did it. He sprayed the inside of the track, laid the strip of felt over the top, and then pushed it down into place with a piece of wood that just fit inside the track. Then he came back with a carpet knife and trimmed the excess felt.

Where I saw this, I can't say, because I didn't save it, write it down, or bookmark it. I also can't remember where I saw it & I can't seem to find it again.

Sorry... Not much help, I know.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:19 PM   #5

Thanks for the input you all.
The felt tape or lined tracks sound like a great idea!
Was thinking maybe magnets to keep the doors closed??

Or maybe they won’t even be needed.

I think I may try and build the doors into the cabinet so they are not removable, so to speak. That way I can size them a bit tighter so they won’t fall out based on the input here.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:41 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Those RB50 sliding doors. Seems every damn time my wife opens the front one, it jumps the track. I keep telling her NOT to pull up on the handle when she slides it open but noooo, she keeps doing it and I keep getting a screwdriver to lift it back into the track. Rant over.
Glad we're here for you---maybe send her here to SMB and we can talk to her for you---might make a bigger impression coming from others?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:22 AM   #7

Not an SMB but I replaced a small hinged closet door in our VW Westy to dual sliders using a cupboard kit from Lowe's (or was it HoDepot?) for the track. Anyway, it went in pretty easily once I'd enlarged the opening. Luan for the doors, and I covered the track pieces with some flat trim painted to match. I had loop handles on them at first, which I liked, but the little recessed buttons are more space-efficient. I have not noticed any rattling but other rattles in the van might mask the sliders' noise. You might consider a tambour (think rolltop desk) if both space and access are at stake.

And if I were doing this again I'd bring the bottom of the opening down to be flush with the top of the mattress for improved access to the lowest sections of the closet for things like boots and other bulky items.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFALO View Post
Thanks for the input you all.
The felt tape or lined tracks sound like a great idea!
Was thinking maybe magnets to keep the doors closed??

Or maybe they won’t even be needed.

I think I may try and build the doors into the cabinet so they are not removable, so to speak. That way I can size them a bit tighter so they won’t fall out based on the input here.
SMB probably just cuts theirs a half inch too short so people can get them in and out easily (when needed) and it creates the problem of falling out. Of course, SMB's cabinet work is generally crap anyway (not just my opinion, ask around). If you build them just the right size to go in they won't want to come off track. If you're using 1/4" material you can cut it a tad long and flex them a big to get in, then they sure won't come off track.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:58 PM   #9

Thanks Camp for the photos and feedback! Nice job on that. Hope I can do at least half as well.
That really improved that Westy cabinet.

Thanks for the further tips Scotty. That makes sense.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
SMB probably just cuts theirs a half inch too short so people can get them in and out easily (when needed) and it creates the problem of falling out. Of course, SMB's cabinet work is generally crap anyway (not just my opinion, ask around). If you build them just the right size to go in they won't want to come off track. If you're using 1/4" material you can cut it a tad long and flex them a big to get in, then they sure won't come off track.
That slider track I bought comes with two different pieces, one with shallow channels for the bottom track (about 3/8" deep) and one with deeper channels for the top (about 1/2" deep). You cut your doors juuuust tight enough that you can insert the door into the upper track and then slip the bottom door edge over the edge of the lower track so it drops into the slot. There's still some door in the upper track to keep things in place. Mine have never shaken out.