Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Slow and Low

Well it looks like you're on a roll. If sound proofing also helps to repel heat/cold better I'd go for it. It's one construction method used by SMB I didn't care for during my vans construction; not enough insulation throughout the whole van.

Under the dog house and front floor board really helps. I'm more happy with the heat resistance than sound...I can always crank up the music

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #12

Looking really nice! I like that huge window, makes a big difference I'm sure.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #13

Not much on the build other than that I scored this sweet console off of the world wide web for $30 shipped!

You know, it really is the little things.
Attached Thumbnails
1-console.jpg  
Old 03-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #14

Ready for a build the van weekend because my MTB race in AZ was canceled due to weather (bummer), but now I basically have all weekend to mess with the van (stoked)!

Today I laid some snap together flooring (a jig saw cuts it super nice!) and screwed 1"x3" furring strips down the length of the body to attach the mdf siding once I have it covered in carpet. I also took the chance to measure out the bed platform and cabinets. Still not sure of exactly what I want to do but I am fashioning a basic "living/cargo area" for now...

Yeah yeah yeah pics will be on the way soon.

Cheers and Beers!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #15

Floor with rubber mat and benches

benches

sleeping platform and carpeted wall

More soon, but for now I am pleased with how things are going. The walls are carpeted MDF and the bases are a mix of 1"x3", 2"x2", and 1/4" ply for the sides, with 5/8" for the bench tops. The center is a sandwich of 3/8" and 1"x3". Today I ripped the canter bed platform down the length of it so I would have 2 separate pieces that will store more easily when not in use...and I think one of the ripped sides will work well as a dinette table!
Attached Thumbnails
1-IMG_5039.JPG   1-IMG_5030.JPG   1-IMG_5027.JPG  
Old 03-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #16

Whhhoooohooooooo!!!

The UPS man just brought me this 5r110w extension housing/xfer case adapter. 4wd is getting closer every day!

Worth the $130 I paid on Ebay!
Attached Thumbnails
1-IMG_5067.JPG  
Old 03-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #17

New dinette is in! I found the mounting plate, leg, and base plate at a local rv shop and used one half of the bed base for the table. Fortunately I managed to get it installed with out too much of an issue.

And I made one of these with some scrap aluminum I had left over from another project.

There are still tons of projects in the works and although I never really know what I will be doing until I am actually doing it. I do think that next I will be figuring out the following:
a full height cabinet
padding for the bench seat/bed
making some kind of door panels and a galley box
sourcing more parts for the 4wd set up
making a basement and installing it
Attached Thumbnails
1-photo-4.JPG   1-photo-4 copy.JPG  
Old 04-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #18

The slow build continues! Today I made a few door panels and now it has me thinking about building a door galley. But I do wonder if I will have the room between the galley and the bench seat. The plan is to eventually change the bench to a captains chair, but for now it doubles as a bed for the boy when we're camping in it. So that may be a ways off.

Questions: 1) Does anyone have rear door storage ideas? You can see the cut out I have made and I am thinking about framing a simple box, but I am wondering if anyone has the "ultimate plan"

2) I have seen pictures of how folks use the galley and a small storage space in the 60 door (front side passenger door...right?) I have cut the hole in the wood but left the carpet over it for now until I can figure it all out.

3) Any thing I should take into consideration with the side door galley?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
1-IMG_5139.JPG   1-IMG_5140.JPG   1-IMG_5136.JPG  
Old 04-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #19

Looking really nice! I like your drop table.

I'm looking for in-door storage as well. I haven't found a great way to do mine yet either. I think the fold down door-storage covers/tables made with plywood on a piano hinges (OEM SMB style) are really cool, but I haven't tried to make one yet. I'm also worried about how the big holes in the doors will defeat the purpose of all of my insulation. I have been thinking I would just glue refletix inside the doors and maybe glue carpet over that where I'm going to have a hole, so it looks nice inside the hole. I have plastic factory door panels though, so I'm hesitant to tear them up before I figure out exactly what I want to do. Hope some of that makes sense.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #20
Site Team

Garage

Yeah most SMB's utilize that space. It's not much but no matter how you make it, every bit of storage is worth it. I keep things like extension cords, a hose and even my Dremel tool in there.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote