Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #21

Re: Slow and Low

Thanks guys. Yeah it is a small space but I am sure I can fit something in there! I do think I'll put a 1st Aid kit in the space for the 60 door on the passenger side and maybe just a small stash spot in the rear door. Gotta fab something up to see how it will all work out.

Any idea on what hinges SMB uses to hold the swing out galley box? Gotta be something stout for all of the bouncing around and when it is loaded...right?

Oh and I am ready to pull the trigger on my 4" lift and 4wd! The call is in to Chris at Ujoint and we should have things rolling soon! YEEEHAW!!

Old 04-12-2013, 02:28 AM   #22

If you need any help with your lift I'm kind of handy with that stuff.
-Jake
HogSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #23

Thanks Jake!

Yeah man I may need some help, built plenty of crawlers and such but this is an entirely different animal. Fortunately from what I have heard Chris over at Ujoint makes some bomber stuff that is not too far off of plug and play so once I get the pieces in we can stand around, kick the tires, drink some beers and make things happen.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #24

Took advantage of a brief window of free time to escape into the mountains for a bit of backcountry hiking and camping, which was nice and left me plenty of thinking time to figure out the next steps.

So I fashioned a real basic cabinet (still need to make doors),

and I finished the floor under the bench seat,

and had a few moments to reflect on just hanging out with the dog and enjoying my slow and low progress!
Attached Thumbnails
cabinet.JPG   1-IMG_5264.JPG   1-IMG_5208.JPG  
Old 04-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #25

Looking good!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #26

Thanks, Dante.

Today I added much needed interior door handles which are just old climbing holds I had laying around and they work surprisingly well! I especially dig the colors and hell, it'll help my finger strength up for crimpers!
side door

rear door

and a nice little $45 class V hitch from ye old pull n pay

the hitch is only until I get the rear bumper fabbed up, but I was tired of not being able to pull a trailer or use hitch racks and with a Fruita, CO/Moab, UT gear testing trip coming up all next week I kind of needed the use of a hitch.

Now to pack the rig for it's first real trip!
Attached Thumbnails
1-IMG_5267.JPG   1-IMG_5269.JPG   1-IMG_5270.JPG  
Old 04-19-2013, 04:36 AM   #27

Love the old holds for door handles !

I consider myself a half-assed perfectionist
Stillvanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #28

Long time since I was over this way and man it is great to be back in action! Here are a few pics of the van out west. Over the past few weeks I was out in western Colorado and Moab for a week and a half for the maiden voyage and had a blast! The trails were awesome the river cool and slow and the climbs were stunning. Lots of time away from others and that was the best part! But that is for another write up. The rig worked well and I was able to dial in how to pack the interior as well as figure out what direction I want to go in next. I think I will start the 4wd conversion in the next month of so barring any unexpected issues. I have a pile of parts from Ujoint and am stoked to get rolling on it ASAP.

And for the near future....

I have been prepping for a trip to Glacier next week and as far as I can tell that is exactly why things have been going a bit sideways with the van mechanically. A few weeks ago I noticed the alternator light coming on intermittently and after running through the electrical system from the batteries, to the grounds, to the harness I discovered that the regulator was on the fritz so I was resolved to replace the alt and sure enough on last Sunday evening on my way back from the farm
(I was planning on replacing the alt the next morning) my damn check engine light came on! Pulled code P1335 -EGR valve and that set the course for researching how to fix it or delete it. Well cash is tight so I figured I'd save a bit and just clean it with carb cleaner and hope it works.

So I set to removing the accessories and hoses, brackets, and all the other nonsense that resides on top of the engine to get to the alternator and EGR when I noticed that the oil filler hose was disconnected from the valve cover and the elbow was not only cracked but missing the o-ring AND whom ever worked on it last broke the tabs off of the valve cover where this elbow would fit!

Awesome.

So yep, I ordered a new elbow, and with some creative filing and bending I was able to craft a new tab to hold the elbow. Next I noticed the serpentine belt was just about toast, so yep, had to track down a new one and replace it while I was at it. The final pain in the ass I noticed was that their was oil in the air filter! Not a ton, but enough to be an issue in the future...now to figure out if it is the seals in the turbo or something else all together!

All in all this has been a great way to learn more about the van and to be honest none of the repairs were that bad. I had the EGR, serpentine, batteries dropped, cleaned and checked, and Alternator replaced an about 10 labor hours, with the serpentine being the biggest PITA.

SO enough rambling and now we're all caught up. Wish us luck as we crawl north and I hope to post pics when we return.

Cheers and Beers
Attached Thumbnails
1-IMG_5318.JPG   1-IMG_5372.JPG   1-IMG_5316.JPG  
Old 05-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #29

Upadowna, please keep us posted on your conversion to 4x4- I'm planning to do mine at the end of the summer via Ujoints help as well. While in Glacier drive that van up "Going to the Sun road" it's a must drive if you haven't already.

I consider myself a half-assed perfectionist
Stillvanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:17 AM   #30

Great build and congrats on your progress so far! Looking forward to seeing this build continue!