Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #1

Slow and Low

Well guys I figure it is time for me to get going on this project. And what better way than to have the peer pressure (from all of you) to actually to it in a timely fashion. First of all you should know two important things: 1) I love cold craft beers, 2) I love the outdoors and run a non-profit dedicated to every person outdoors.

This project is another method that we can use to help people get their fire stoked to get out into the wilds of this great country. I am now the proud owner of a 2006 EB 6.0L cargo van...and I am STOKED! We don't have a lot of cash so the SMB was way, way out of our range. And to be honest at this stage we would prefer the cargo space and the availability to sleep in it should we need.

The plans are to add a bench seat and two windows, eventually add a penthouse and burly roof rack and bumpers, move the bulkhead door from behind the drivers seat to 18" behind the soon to be installed bench seat. This way I can keep the gear (bikes, climbing gear, beds, etc...) blocked from view but also contained should we get wrecked. Also I am sourcing parts to build a homegrown 4wd and lift. Looking through all of your awesome build has me reeling with ideas...you can add a basement to these things?!?!?...and also looking for a side job to help fund them!

I have tons of questions and will do my best search before asking, and during the build I will not only tell you what I am trying to do but also how it actually turns out .

As the title stated this will be a SLOW build, primarily as I mentioned due to my beer budget. Thanks in advance for not only sharing your great projects but inspiring me to create my own!

Cheers to all of you
Attached Thumbnails
1-IMG_4968.JPG  

Old 02-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #2

Re: Slow and Low

Stripped the interior and bolted down the rear seat today. I should have a window delivered tomorrow and then will make time to install it on Friday. It is coming together nicely and after years of building jeeps it is nice to work on such a spacious vehicle.

I am still wondering about flooring though, I put reflectix on the walls and I think I will use a spray on undercoating for the floor topped with some kind of insulating layer then marine plywood and finally vinyl tile of some sort. I love all of the ideas that I have seen here now it just comes down to deciding and pulling the trigger.

Is there anyone here that has a "must do" suggestion for the floor?
Attached Thumbnails
1-IMG_4983.JPG  
Old 02-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #3

Slow and Low

A thin layer of insulation on the floor will go a long way in keeping you feet warm.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:24 AM   #4

2nd about insulating the floor under the plywood.
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #5

Thanks guys.

I think I spray an undercoating of some sort on the floor then maybe just use some 3/4" garage flooring from Home Depot. Total cost would be $325ish. But the sheet is 7.5' x 17' so maybe I can find another van nut here in Colorado Springs to split the mat and the cost!!

I think the undercoating and thick polyvinyl mat will do nicely for insulation. If it does not then I will pull the mat and throw down some plywood between the mat and the undercoating.

Between the undercoating, mat, and plywood it has to be a significant sound deadening and somewhat efficient insulator...right?

Window still has not arrived and I am ready to CUT!

Oh and on a good note when I told my wife my plans she sighed and said "what ever you want dear, it's your van" MMMMUUUUUAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA

wait a minute...I think she just set me up some how...
Old 02-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #6

I shed the "creeper van" look yesterday by installing a window in the drivers side!!

I used Butyl tape to seal it and was a bit bummed that it took off some of the paint when I removed the excess...oh well, nothing a little touch up paint can't remedy...or a sweet 70's mural!

The seat is also firmly in place and now I am going to jump on the flooring, I did find a product called "Protecto wrap" and I am thinking of using that in the place of a Dynomat and then on top of that will be plywood and a vinyl flooring of some sort. Any thoughts on Protecto wrap?

Still kicking around how to do the interior build and sourcing the 4wd parts. Only time will tell how any of these turn out.
Attached Thumbnails
1-IMG_4989.JPG   1-IMG_4988.JPG  
Old 02-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #7

Great start!

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #8

Thanks SCBrian.

Today is a day that I actually have a bunch of free time so I sanded the floor to get a better grab with the undercoating and sure enough the temps dropped and now it's snowing! So much for a great day of progress.

This will however give me the chance to try and mock up a little bench seat/bed concept and some storage. Like many of you have said...you're never finished and you never really know what you want until you're "done" and begin pulling it out and reworking it all!

BTW of any of you love stouts..you should give this one a try! It is perfect on a snowy day...
Attached Thumbnails
1-IMG_4951.JPG  
Old 02-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #9

The last few days have been mildly productive as I was able to spray on an undercoating and seal all of the holes left in the floor from the utility shelves. I also removed the last of the cage pieces and managed to cut the 1/2" insulation and 1/2" osb and get it into place. Great success!

I am still battling with whether or not to use a true sound dampener...but as of now I think I will forgo it until I do the cab and then get crazy with the dog house, floor and the hood, none of which have much of anything right now.

So far I am feeling good about the slow and low build and I hope to keep on trucking at a modest pace. The interior is a really battle as far as making any real decisions, but I am honing in on what I want.

1st trip is down to AZ for a mountain bike race in a few weeks, and while I have no doubt I will be camping in the sand I know it will be a really great shake down cruise.
Attached Thumbnails
1-IMG_4995.JPG   1-IMG_5005.JPG   1-IMG_4999.JPG  
Old 02-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #10

And I scored a complete Dana 60 with 4.10 gearing for $550!

Attached Thumbnails
1-IMG_0422.JPG