Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2023, 08:39 AM   #1

SMB measurement needed/bed height/hardware ideas

I'll document this more in my build thread soon but I'm hoping someone in or near can measure the gaucho/bed box HEIGHT in their van for me?

I'm thinking this is somewhere in the 12" range from the floor to the lip of the box/frame. I am not needing a measurement to the surface of the couch or bed since that is dependent upon foam thickness, etc. I just need the height of the vertical box itself.

Another measurement that would be handy is for anyone that has a front-to-rear gaucho/couch in their van. I'm trying to get the backrest height right and need to know about how tall the backrest is. My floor plan will be couch behind driver's seat front to rear (2 piece) so different sized back and bottom than the 3 piece 50 style beds I think. Close probably not exactly the same, or maybe they are.

Also, I'm considering a few different ways to build my slide out bed frame. I have some old school completely mechanical SMB tracks/slides which are essentially F shaped (picture upside down F extrusion/L track), 24" long.

Today I will be also mocking up some of these craptastic Amazon futon hinges.

https://www.amazon.com/Bedding-Furni...12&sr=8-7&th=1

I know there are rock n' roll bed and other, more expensive options but I'm going to try for one of these before I go that route.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 09:13 AM   #2

Garage
Vertical height of my gaucho box is 12 1/2". The backrest structural board is 12" tall, and once the padding & leather are attached it delivers a 14" overall height.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:53 AM   #3

Garage
Mine is close to Felix's.
12 1/8" vertical height of gaucho box
13 1/2" tall backrest
30 1/2" gaucho bottom cushion total depth
19 1/2" gaucho bottom cushion from backrest to front edge
Old 03-19-2023, 10:33 AM   #4

Excellent info, thanks fellas. It's just about what I thought but this takes some guessing out of the game.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 02:21 PM   #5

Ours is an older style SMB frame and it is also around 12" to the bottom of the mattress. I had it welded to our Ford OEM seat rails since those are 3" tall. It makes the seat height taller than factory but for us it was more important to fit two 15" tall storage bins in the garage under the bed.

Average US chair height is about 18" at the top of the cushions.
h.grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 11:01 AM   #6

fruton height

Well we measure the height of some heavy duty storage containers, and used that as the clearance measure from the floor. mattress is sitting on top of our folding couch, the picture shows the rear of van, i was able to get 2 containers sideway in the back and 3 long ways in the front which allowed me to put in a full size gel mattress. I don't switch between couch and mattress very often. I just leave the mattress on top full time
Attached Thumbnails
20210417_190017.jpg  
fordsarefun is offline   Reply With Quote