Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #11

Re: Smurf Build

We did the entire floor. There's more rust than it looks. When you get to wire brushing it you'll see a bunch of starting to rust spots. It was easier to just wire brush everything and coat it. Very systematic and you'll know you got it all.

We also gutted the cab and found rust under the vinyl mat too. We did the cab separately from the cargo area so we were able to use the van in between.

Airspace is the enemy of POR-15. We ended up buying more than we needed but transferred it to smaller cans for keeping. Once it reaches about half the airspace in the can it starts to solidify, possibly due to the high humid environment we live in. We fortunately learned that with the first tester can we bought. Knowing this, we would have bought a case of the smaller cans instead of having to do that ourselves.

Get a decent ventilator, that stuff is noxious.

-John

Old 12-02-2014, 07:53 AM   #12
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: Smurf Build

J&M those are great points!

Doing the entire floor including front is best and realistically it doesn't add a lot to the cost so there's no real good reason to just spot treat the floor. Then again this can be subjective and a matter of personal preference.

Unopened cans of POR paint/finish are good for at least two years after purchase, according to POR anyway.

I used the silver because it has such a high-solid content. I'm sure the other colors have higher-than-expected solids but POR informed me silver had the most. This is important as that allows building a thicker film which in turn is slightly more durable if the treated surfaces will be subject to wear or foot traffic. Even if not the thicker layer is a benefit.

Another thing not yet discussed is DO NOT EVER shake POR-15 finishes---NEVER! They will build pressure inside the can even with minimum air spaces inside and when opened expel product with amazing speed and volume. A friend---honestly not me---did this so I learned from his mistake. The mess alone was frightening to even consider. Good thing I knew in advance because I almost took two quart cans to the local paint store for mixing in one of their paint shakers. Can NOT imagine the resulting mayhem.

Personal safety is a big consideration---I did my floor outside with all van doors open. Beginning at first light was done painting by noon and it wasn't until sun down I closed it up for the night. Next day doors open again---there never was any residual odor etc.

That which falls on the ground or gets on your skin is there for a long, long time--keep that in mind as it says in POR's instructions.

Anyway POR-15 is good stuff for this job. Hope to see Smurf's progress over time.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote