Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #201
Site Team

Re: SOCAL build

The bulletproof film seems great, unless you're trapped in your vehicle and you need to get out or someone needs to get in. Can they be more easily penetrated from the inside if necessary? I assume a fireman with a pick-axe tool can get through.

Herb

Old 12-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #202

They can, but if you're unconscious, they may not know to keep trying. It may take 20 blows w a [baseball bat] to open a hole or weaken the pane enough to get to the handle. It can be done.

I read an article online rating 3 of the top anti-shatter films. I picked what I thought was best for me and tried to find an installer. Was very hard. When I did, their main business was houses and businesses. Wasn't much interested in a vehicle. Stepped down to my second choice (all of these in Dallas Metroplex, BTW). He did cars, but not wo a look see. I asked to be sure if he took the film all the way to the edges (something very important for it to work well. He didn't.

I kinda gave up, but am now back in the game.. My build has started. I think the front doors are our most vulnerable spots because that's where thieves usually start. I'd like to do the film, but it's going to take some more work getting it done down here. I'm also worried what the added thickness will do to the electric window operation.

There is ballistic film out there, but I believe I heard you have to have 3 letters abbreviating your employer's name before you're allowed to buy it, or be a high risk commercial joint, ya' know, like Jage's van.

JC
Old 12-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #203

Quote:
A poor man's Revelco can be had simply by adding a switch interrupting the shift lock solenoid operation. Even if the engine could be started it couldn't be moved no matter what! (I had this revelation once upon a time when that fuse blew---talk about a quick panic before realizing what might have happened!)
Someone willing to do a write up? Would love to add a little switch somewhere for this mod. I once installed a switch to bypass the Park/Neutral sensor to start the car, but this would be too obvious to a would be thief. I think one could play act a little to pretend that something was wrong with the car and won't allow it to shift.
Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:41 AM   #204
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4MacFam

Someone willing to do a write up? Would love to add a little switch somewhere for this mod.
The process would be easy enough---simply locate the shift interlock solenoid wiring and splice in a high-quality maintained action switch. The trick would be finding a location known to the vehicle owner that's not a typical place the good car thieves would look.

The possibilities here are many though. Perhaps a latching relay tied to an aftermarket alarm, actuated only when its engaged. This allows use of PDL's without affected the shift solenoid.

However given the importance of the interlock the manually operated switch would be best. While not the most convenient of locations mounting it just above the inertia fuel shut off switch would be a great place.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #205

I bet the best place to hide it would be in plain sight, especially in a camper that has switches all over the place. Put it in the dash facing front with a "water pump" label on it!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #206

Shift interlock is too easy to bypass IMO. It's normally open, so any loss of power unlocks the shifter.

The owner's manual even describes the over-ride process: Simply turn the key from Unlock to OFF, but not to ON. This disengages the shift interlock. Then you can start in Neutral.

I think a fuel cut switch would be more effective. You can tap into the fuel cutoff circuit in the passenger foot-well.

I agree that hiding the switch in plain site it best. With some relays, you could even make a setup that requires a combination of existing switches to be in the correct positions to closet the circuit.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #207

Did a quick search and found an aftermarket Bluetooth fuel cutoff switch, http://lettouch.com/usb-antitheft-car-s ... p-608.html. Not sure how well it works but seems like a good idea.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
Did a quick search and found an aftermarket Bluetooth fuel cutoff switch, http://lettouch.com/usb-antitheft-car-s ... p-608.html. Not sure how well it works but seems like a good idea.
But when your passenger goes to plug in their iWhatever, your car stalls in traffic?
Old 12-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #209

My thread got hijacked, I should be mad but my post need to catch up to Skinny, he passed me and that makes me more mad
shadzima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:03 AM   #210
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Shift interlock is too easy to bypass IMO. It's normally open, so any loss of power unlocks the shifter.

The owner's manual even describes the over-ride process: Simply turn the key from Unlock to OFF, but not to ON. This disengages the shift interlock. Then you can start in Neutral.

I think a fuel cut switch would be more effective. You can tap into the fuel cutoff circuit in the passenger foot-well.

I agree that hiding the switch in plain site it best. With some relays, you could even make a setup that requires a combination of existing switches to be in the correct positions to closet the circuit.
Good info CarringB---that's a fact I was unaware of but I do wonder whether with engine running by whatever means (hot wiring, break ignition cylinder lock, etc) does that by itself defeat the interlock? My thought is even with engine on, trans in neutral if the shift interlock is inoperative it would not allow any gear to be selected. That has me intrigued---have to test it later today.

The good car thieves are aware plain-view switches or combinations of them can/do bypass or defeat anti-theft practices so almost automatically begin toggling anything in sight to check the effect. Its a sad but interesting fact a good thief can be driving our vehicles away almost as quickly without the keys as we can.

Good gosh there's no easy way to thwart those goofs is there?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote