Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #1

Sofa beds?

I just picked up a Chevy 1500 AWD cargo van that has been partially customized. The desk and chair are coming out. I want to install a sofa bed for carrying a couple people in belts and can fold down to handle my 6'2" height. I did some searching and was surprised that there weren't many threads specifically discussing prefabbed sofa beds. I have found that a couple companies may be my best bet:

Discount Van Truck
Sherrod Conversion Vans
Explorer Vans
KustomFit seating (offer a tri-fold sofa)
Sportsmobile? (does Sportsmobile sell individual components?)

Can anyone offer any advise as to who may be the best choice? I'm looking for something simple and funtional for rougher camping/hunting/fishing. I hope to match the fabric to the front seats as close as possible. Something like the Princess sofa with Extend-a-Bed would probably work fine. I also have a Campers Inn RV dealer nearbye but I'm not sure what they may be able to offer. I did a seach and didn't find much about ready-made sofa beds other than Discount Van Truck so any guidance would be appreciated!

Pics of my new-to-me van:

zuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Sofa beds?

I know of a thread where some crazy guy talked about building one. But you'll need a couple of cats if you want to go that route.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVvan
I know of a thread where some crazy guy talked about building one. But you'll need a couple of cats if you want to go that route.
I don't have 1/10th of the skill or engineering mindset that you have with your build! Although, I'm sure my g/f's cat would help...
Old 10-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #4

Do you want the seats to face forward or sideways? I ripped out my SMB backseat/sofa (RB50 Plan) and replaced it with a home made couch that is side facing. Sleeps my 6ft Frame easily and folds out to be a double bed. I have my furnace, water tank and big security box underneath it. I can send you pictures (they are posted in a thread here somewhere)
spomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spomo1
Do you want the seats to face forward or sideways? I ripped out my SMB backseat/sofa (RB50 Plan) and replaced it with a home made couch that is side facing. Sleeps my 6ft Frame easily and folds out to be a double bed. I have my furnace, water tank and big security box underneath it. I can send you pictures (they are posted in a thread here somewhere)
Orientation of the sofa is still up for debate but for the sake of safety while transporting passengers, facing forward would probably be best. Most of the time it would only be my g/f and I sitting up front but for those times that I do carry more than 1 passenger, I want everyone belted.

Do you have belts on your side-facing couch or is it strictly for use when stopped?
Old 10-19-2010, 04:52 PM   #6

Ive looked at belts and decided I would go with either just a lap belt or a three point harness. I did the measurements and its very doable. The tuffy box is solid so I am not worried about the bottom mounts and the top point would go into the structural member.
spomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote