Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2016, 02:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
@Gh0ztkid21: I am by no means an expert on this, but wanted to offer my experience with regard to the idea of passengers traveling sideways on a sofa seat. I'm guessing SMB or other installers probably have safety statistics to support the use of this setup but my own accident experience a few years ago gave me a bird's eye view of the force exerted on everything in a vehicle wanting to accelerate with incredible force toward the front. A driver ran a red light and I T-boned their car with my SUV. Everything - and I mean everything - that wasn't totally nailed down flew past my head and wound up in the windshield well. I wound up in the hospital (other driver was fine). And that was at only 45mph.

I have since wondered about the damage that would be done to a person sitting sideways in a van under those circumstances or, worse yet, at highway speeds. The force would cause you to bend violently at the waist in a direction our bodies are not meant to go (except maybe slowly, like in yoga ). The spine is a fragile piece of work.

Don't want to rain on your parade, and maybe I'm totally wrong on this, but I don't think so. Forward-facing benches for traveling purposes just seem inherently safer.

EDIT: Just realized you might already be talking about a forward-facing sofa. If so, great! Guess I'll just leave my thoughts here for posterity anyway.

I appreciate the response. Yes that was always in the back of my head. I don't intend on driving with people in the back seat much, I mainly only travel with one other person. I need the extra seat belts for when I go to the beach. My friends usually park outside the park enterence hop in my truck and since I have the pass I drive in and onto the beach. This saves my friends from paying 10$ entry to the park per car. You have to pay per car full and have to have one person for every legal seat. I can't just load up the van with as many people as I want or you get charged per person. So just want 4 seat belts for that purpose alone. When camping it's just my gf and I and when fishing it's just my best friend/fishing partner and I. I would not be for driving around town or taking people places on roads bc if in an accident I would get charged. I don't believe that sportsmobile changes the "passanger seating" sticker on your door jam so in the event of an accident I can only have 2 people in my vehicle as stated on the vehicle passanger sticker inside the door jam. Any more passengers then stated would result in a ticket for me. But I was looking for a side facing seat because I want it to double as a bed for me and a forward facing bed isn't big enough for me. Also I like the concept of a walk through platform since many times when I'm lazy I like to slide my kayak in the van for short moves as opposed to throwing it up top and strapping it down.

Gh0ztkid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #12

Garage
@Odinson: Yeah, like this, but with seatbelts. Hahaha! Only 185 pounds!

But everyone would have to sleep sitting "reclined"

They really need to make this into a sofa bed...
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 06-07-2016, 03:06 PM   #13

Garage
@gh0ztkid21: Sounds like a good plan! Ya, for kayaks, having that middle aisle open is really useful.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:08 PM   #14

Quote:
@Odinson: Yeah, like this, but with seatbelts. Hahaha! Only 185 pounds!

But everyone would have to sleep sitting "reclined"

They really need to make this into a sofa bed...
Yes! Two of those as forward facing reclining sofas would got me. Could have built longer cabinets in the back. Agile people (like kids could still easily get to the back row or the back of the van.

Not *that* complicated to make.
odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:34 PM   #15
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Well Debby Downers (Only in jest my friends), I would have to say the position of your seating would probably be the least of your worries in ANY accident with your SMB...especially at highway speeds...Our Rigs are HEAVY..the mere fact that everything in your car/suv ended up at the windshield is just junk...imagine all your gear, cabinets (themselves), and all the things stored in said cabinets (the standard latches have come open before on a simple turn or big bump off road), and the stuff we all put on the floor or stuff in back...so safety? Well I would go with comfort first and hope the crash never comes...

PS Ghost, I have heard of the bed that is made to go across the drivers+passenger side seats, or your bud could sleep in the aisle with legs under extended goucho...or get the pop top (penthouse) and the bed up there is heaven...oh money and the things we could do with it eh!?
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #16

@ctb : yes I do want the pop top, and in the near future I plan on getting it but right now after just buying the brand new rig I'm doing everything in steps. But yes the pop top is my next addition when the comfort money is there for it. I was contemplating selling one of my motorcycles or jetskis and just getting it all done at once but we will see when I get there. If I'm making a trip to Texas or west for my gaucho then I will be doing the pop top at the same time. If north can make the gaucho wider or do the interior I want then the pop top may wait and I'll hold onto my toys. We shall see
Gh0ztkid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:41 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0ztkid21 View Post
That's what I'm looking to go with. The gaucho bed behind the drivers seat. I'm looking to go with 76" length since I'm 6'3". How does the width work out for you when in a bed position? Does it sleep the both of you? My gf is very small and I'm tall but skinny, is the bed wide enough for both of you? And how comfortable is it to sleep on?

Thank you
I looked a two vans with the gaucho, the bed was a bit too narrow for us. I sleep funny, but the only way to know is to lay on the dang thing.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:35 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
imagine all your gear, cabinets (themselves), and all the things stored in said cabinets (the standard latches have come open before on a simple turn or big bump off road), and the stuff we all put on the floor or stuff in back...so safety? Well I would go with comfort first and hope the crash never comes...
Gees, I hope those systems are planned better than that...

But I probably have a perspective that is uncommon unless you've been in a big wreck. The first thing I was glad about was that my dog wasn't with me. Now, she travels in a secured carrier or cage.

Yep, it's all about what you know that you'd probably rather not.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:01 PM   #19
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Quote:
Gees, I hope those systems are planned better than that...

But I probably have a perspective that is uncommon unless you've been in a big wreck. The first thing I was glad about was that my dog wasn't with me. Now, she travels in a secured carrier or cage.

Yep, it's all about what you know that you'd probably rather not.
SOOOO true...ignorance is bliss eh? My wife says I am one blissful SOB!!!

Smart about your dog!! Great to post back and forth...hopefully we'll see you on the rad one day!!
And Ghost, it might be cheaper to do it all at once...have them gove you a quote on all at once vs. by segments...you might save thousands!? Tough choice too! I'd say sell the motorcycle first, it is the most dangerous (idiot drivers out there eh?!) and you'd get the most money...and more trips in your SMB closest to the enjoyment a bike brings...jet ski, man I love me some jet ski fun!! But that is a keeper you can drag with you wherever you go!! Keep us posted!!
PS. If yo are coming through Iowa on I-80 you could stop by and check it out as your heading South (on I-35) to AUsitn, or West (I-80 to I-70) to Cali...
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:19 PM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
Well Debby Downers (Only in jest my friends), I would have to say the position of your seating would probably be the least of your worries in ANY accident with your SMB...especially at highway speeds...Our Rigs are HEAVY..the mere fact that everything in your car/suv ended up at the windshield is just junk...imagine all your gear, cabinets (themselves), and all the things stored in said cabinets (the standard latches have come open before on a simple turn or big bump off road), and the stuff we all put on the floor or stuff in back...so safety? Well I would go with comfort first and hope the crash never comes...
Forgetting whatever might happen inside our vans.
It is against the law for us to drive with our grandkids in the van if they are buckled into car seats that are facing the side of the van. The seats must be mounted facing either forward or rearward.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote