Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2016, 09:23 AM   #1

Sofa Beds (like or dislike?)

I'm looking at installing a sofa bed in my E-350 camper. The objective is to get more passengers in the van. As of now, I can only transport 2 people legally. Therefore, I am thinking of adding a sofa bed with seat belts. I'm wondering if anyone has used shop4seats.com or Superior Seats Inc. I would like to know your opinions on the quality of the product, how comfortable they are to sleep on once folded down and the ease or difficulty of the installation. Thank you

rhinojonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:16 AM   #2

Garage
Sofa Beds in general, Love them! Love the sofa bed in the RB50. Wide enough, Long enough if you have a platform behind it, carries a car seat as it faces forward.

But, I don't know the specifics re: the model or maker you are referring to.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:23 PM   #3

I was wondering this as well. Looking into the duchess sofa bed offered by shop4seats and adding it along the driver side wall just behind the driver seat. Just curious as to how easy an install, how comfortable of a sleep it is, and how much room it takes up when in the seated position.
Gh0ztkid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:23 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrat View Post
Sofa Beds in general, Love them! Love the sofa bed in the RB50. Wide enough, Long enough if you have a platform behind it, carries a car seat as it faces forward.

But, I don't know the specifics re: the model or maker you are referring to.
Yes, love my Sportsmobile West sofa bed too, with the platform behind(which without platform would be too short).

Cheers
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:40 AM   #5
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Have the Goucho in Sporty (custom sofa bed by SMB). We had it built 6 ft for we are both 4-8 inches less. Great for storage under (we have batteries, 20 gal water/pump, inverter, fuse on kick plate) Ours is parallel (walk-through design) as you see feet up staring out at the beach...we sleep with our heads either way...one if we are watching movies/DTV, other if it is colder camping for our heads are by furnace...AND, it has/fits four seat belts (don't tell the wife I posted a pic with the inside looking so messy). Only problem we have found, if you are 6ft or taller, head room (Pic of wife is on her knees before we popped top)!!! Because of the Penthouse bed, you lose a few inches (maybe as much as 6inches) of head room and a taller person will be tilting their heads or smashing it on bumpy stretches...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5359.jpg   IMG_5604.jpg   IMG_1317.jpg  
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
Have the Goucho in Sporty (custom sofa bed by SMB). We had it built 6 ft for we are both 4-8 inches less. Great for storage under (we have batteries, 20 gal water/pump, inverter, fuse on kick plate) Ours is parallel (walk-through design) as you see feet up staring out at the beach...we sleep with our heads either way...one if we are watching movies/DTV, other if it is colder camping for our heads are by furnace...AND, it has/fits four seat belts (don't tell the wife I posted a pic with the inside looking so messy). Only problem we have found, if you are 6ft or taller, head room (Pic of wife is on her knees before we popped top)!!! Because of the Penthouse bed, you lose a few inches (maybe as much as 6inches) of head room and a taller person will be tilting their heads or smashing it on bumpy stretches...
That's what I'm looking to go with. The gaucho bed behind the drivers seat. I'm looking to go with 76" length since I'm 6'3". How does the width work out for you when in a bed position? Does it sleep the both of you? My gf is very small and I'm tall but skinny, is the bed wide enough for both of you? And how comfortable is it to sleep on?

Thank you
Old 06-07-2016, 11:09 AM   #7
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
The GOucho is very firm, but grow to like it more each time we are out (usually sleep on a Temperpecdic/memory foam). We went with 6ft because of our height, and your plan sounds like you will be giving yourself enough room too...If I feel like I need to really stretch toes, I slant my setback towards the windshield and I get that little extra space...I have a 31 inch waist and the wife has a 26 inch and we both fit very well without cramping each other or getting stiff from not being able to move around...as for sleeping in general, we find we sleep so much better in the SMB than other beds (our own, hotel, visiting relatives etc) but that could be the GREAT OUTDOORS, or the fact we are much less stressed on vacation?! Either way, awesome sleep...can't beat the extra storage it affords too. If you're in Wisconsin, you should contact Nancy at North Sportsmobile...she could give you a quote (at the very least) and you could make it a short pick-up trip (if the price is comparable or better)...if you need any pics let me know and post pics when you decide and install!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:15 PM   #8

Thank you yes I have gotten a price quote already and it is very reasonable for an installed price. I appreciate you getting back to me, the only concern I have is the width. I was hoping to get it made a little wider if possible. I'm 6'3" and a 34" waist and my gf is 5'4" with a size "0" waist. My concern wasn't so much when sleeping with her but I use the van for fishing the north east coast for striped bass. My buddy and I travel together sleeping weekends to week long trips in the van during the day, and fish all night in the north east. When sleeping with him is where I want more space. We have known each other since preschool but still don't want o be too cramped. So if I can't get wider he will be buying a pad and sleeping on the floor. Lol. My old van setup just had a queen size futon bed I purchased from ikea. Worked great for us but I want the additional seat belts for when they are needed.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:42 PM   #9

Garage
@Gh0ztkid21: I am by no means an expert on this, but wanted to offer my experience with regard to the idea of passengers traveling sideways on a sofa seat. I'm guessing SMB or other installers probably have safety statistics to support the use of this setup but my own accident experience a few years ago gave me a bird's eye view of the force exerted on everything in a vehicle wanting to accelerate with incredible force toward the front. A driver ran a red light and I T-boned their car with my SUV. Everything - and I mean everything - that wasn't totally nailed down flew past my head and wound up in the windshield well. I wound up in the hospital (other driver was fine). And that was at only 45mph.

I have since wondered about the damage that would be done to a person sitting sideways in a van under those circumstances or, worse yet, at highway speeds. The force would cause you to bend violently at the waist in a direction our bodies are not meant to go (except maybe slowly, like in yoga ). The spine is a fragile piece of work.

Don't want to rain on your parade, and maybe I'm totally wrong on this, but I don't think so. Forward-facing benches for traveling purposes just seem inherently safer.

EDIT: Just realized you might already be talking about a forward-facing sofa. If so, great! Guess I'll just leave my thoughts here for posterity anyway.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
@Gh0ztkid21: I am by no means an expert on this, but wanted to offer my experience with regard to the idea of passengers traveling sideways on a sofa seat. I'm guessing SMB or other installers probably have safety statistics to support the use of this setup but my own accident experience a few years ago gave me a bird's eye view of the force exerted on everything in a vehicle wanting to accelerate with incredible force toward the front. A driver ran a red light and I T-boned their car with my SUV. Everything - and I mean everything - that wasn't totally nailed down flew past my head and wound up in the windshield well. I wound up in the hospital (other driver was fine). And that was at only 45mph.

I have since wondered about the damage that would be done to a person sitting sideways in a van under those circumstances or, worse yet, at highway speeds. The force would cause you to bend violently at the waist in a direction our bodies are not meant to go (except maybe slowly, like in yoga ). The spine is a fragile piece of work.

Don't want to rain on your parade, and maybe I'm totally wrong on this, but I don't think so. Forward-facing benches for traveling purposes just seem inherently safer.

EDIT: Just realized you might already be talking about a forward-facing sofa. If so, great! Guess I'll just leave my thoughts here for posterity anyway.
You are not alone. That is why I went removable captains even though they are a PITA and have to come out when we camp. The only way to do a safe belted couch was to give up the aisle.

Now was would kick ass would be 2 3 person reclining couches with deep dip in the middle back support so they could be stepped over.

Then we could belt 8 and not have to remove anything to camp.

I'd still loose the plywood aisle in the middle though, but it might be worth it.
odinson is offline   Reply With Quote