Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinson View Post
They match and I was told, it's essentially an F350 underneath.
I don' think so.. My understanding is the springs are different lengths.

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #12

Sooo airbags or helper springs?

Anybody know why those Helwig helper springs linked in post #1 only say they fit E-vans back to 1999? I have a 1998 and I didn't think there was any difference between a 98 and 99 rear leaf pack? Paging @carringb ...
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:11 PM   #13

There's no difference '92-'14. Nothing that should affect spring fit anyways. Ford did change leaf counts and rates periodically but that also depends on GVWR (which only loosely corresponds with model number).

On that note however.... Aux overloads tend to be stiff. Also they add more hardware which tends to be less than OEM quality, and as mentioned prevent future use of airbags. Adding leafs allows for better ride tuning and still allows for airbags later.

Chris @ UJoint sells both replacement leaf packs and add-a-leafs. I added leafs to mine using an F350 donor set which only cost me $50.

And yes F-series springs do fit, but not properly. It shifts the axle back about 1" which isn't a big deal until you need to run tire chains on taller tires.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:23 PM   #14

Thanks for the info!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:37 PM   #15

Currently thinking of adding helper springs, too. I used to have them on a 1/2 ton pickup, and they helped quite a lot. When the bed was empty, I did notice a slight extra buck when going over things like railroad tracks, but if adjusted properly, they really shouldn't "engage" unless the vehicle is loaded. They are adjustable for your specific vehicle by how tight you tension the U-bolts; you want to set them to be just tight enough when the vehicle is empty, to be engaged when loaded. The only down-side: once set, and left in place for a few years, those U-bolts seize up with road grime pretty tight. I never was able to back mine off a bit when life changed and I hauled heavy stuff less frequently... I didn't have air tools back then, either. You also have to keep in mind that springs will help with your ride, but will not increase the capacity of your axle (semi-floaters take note). So I killed a pair of axle bearings in the aforementioned pickup, too.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:42 AM   #16

FYI still waiting on answers if those are the stock (or stock size) leafs under there. The helper springs I posted are for F350 leafs. No idea if they wlll work on E350 leafs, but 'no' is certainly possible.
odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinson View Post
FYI still waiting on answers if those are the stock (or stock size) leafs under there. The helper springs I posted are for F350 leafs. No idea if they wlll work on E350 leafs, but 'no' is certainly possible.
Has anyone with a quadvan upgrade know? Anyone have to replace the bushings or some such? Do they keep the rear leaf size? Are those the stock rear leafs on there? Still waiting on word back from John. Thinking they are stock with just spacers and bolts needed. That's why those are the only numbers.

Thanks.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:05 PM   #18

QuadVan uses stock leafs and adds a 2" lift block, normally,, unless the customer pays for other spring upgrades.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
QuadVan uses stock leafs and adds a 2" lift block, normally,, unless the customer pays for other spring upgrades.
Excellent! That's what I needed to know.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:08 PM   #20

I always thought it would be cool to do the onboard compressor/air bag setup that independently controlled your left and right bags. That way (in theory anyway), you could use them for leveling when you get to camp.